St vincent de pauls

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
caroline phipps (nee Norman)

St vincent de pauls

Postby caroline phipps (nee Norman) » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:35 pm

I went here from 1977 to 1983 and I wondered what has happened to the school and if anyone went there.

annamaria

Re: St vincent de pauls

Postby annamaria » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:13 pm

I went to St Vincents open air school from 1960 -65 I had severe asthma and was sent by my local council, I feel my time there had a holistic cure for my asthma although I was very homesick.
I returned to visit the school about 15 years ago and the nuns were no longer involved in running the school we were taken on a tour of the building but much has changed. I do not know what has become of the school and have been trying to find out, I have many memories of st leonards and the surrounding area. I have been trying to find anyone who may have been at school at this time.
Pleased if you could tell me about yourself and time at st vincents, there was a shrine of our Lady of Lourdes and st bernadette in the gardens.
Look forward to hearing from you.

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:02 pm

The school has been closed for a number of years now,I am not sure but it was turned into a computer centre..

maureen_healy

Postby maureen_healy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm

[quoted]
annamaria wrote:
I went to St Vincents open air school from 1960 -65 I had severe asthma and was sent by my local council, I feel my time there had a holistic cure for my asthma although I was very homesick.
I returned to visit the school about 15 years ago and the nuns were no longer involved in running the school we were taken on a tour of the building but much has changed. I do not know what has become of the school and have been trying to find out, I have many memories of st leonards and the surrounding area. I have been trying to find anyone who may have been at school at this time.
Pleased if you could tell me about yourself and time at st vincents, there was a shrine of our Lady of Lourdes and st bernadette in the gardens.
[/quoted]

maureen (healy) also went to St Vincents i remember the classrooms at the end of the lawn, going for walks along the seafront and being told not to look at the mods on scooters going along the road, and the nuns crying while telling us that Presadent Kennedy had been shot.

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Scheduled for demolition,planning permission sought for houses and flats ?..Is the concrete building at the bottom of the garden a disused bomb shelter ? though it looks very small !

kathy_green

Postby kathy_green » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:12 pm

I can't believe I found someone who went there. See my other post.

lynda_timberlake

Postby lynda_timberlake » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:34 pm

[quoted]
annamaria wrote:
[/quoted]

where you in teh senoirs when you left in 1965? i went into the infants in 1962 with sister angela. i left in 1972 after being head girl and then going to work from the school for a while. it was a love place to grow up i have very happy memories of my time there. lynda

Return to “Schools and Colleges”