St.Mary's School,Baldslow

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
sarah_pemberton

Postby sarah_pemberton » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:20 pm

[quoted]
patrick wrote:
Any information about the choir of the St.Mary's School,Baldslow who made a record in 1973,'Stabat Mater',conducter Doreen Carter,would be welcome..
[/quoted]

I have a copy of this record as I was at the school from 1973 to 1975

jane_swann

Re: St.Mary's School,Baldslow

Postby jane_swann » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:43 am

[quoted]
sue roe wrote:
i was at the school at this time and remember the record being made. try posting a message for the school in the friends reunited web site.
[/quoted]

Hi Sue

I was there during '76-78.

Jane

clare_thomas

Postby clare_thomas » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Sarah,
I remember you, we were in the same year. Also we were at school together at West Malling briefly before St. Mary's. We were the last year of boarders [15 of us] in year 5 in 1978, then it was day girls only after that.
I also still have a copy of "Stabat Mater', also 'Jonah and the Whale'. I was in the choir a couple of years later, along with some of the original members.I still find myself singing parts of Doreen Carter's Mass- that's how catchy it was. I wish I had kept a copy of the music.
Is there an old girls network still ? I've lost touch with the only friend I had kept up with. I visited the school in July 2000 and wandered round the overgrown grounds and nuns' graveyard. I think I caught it just before the building work .
Resounding memories: cold, hunger, homesickness, heater-hugging,music, choir trips,long black cloaks, fear of 6th formers,long lonesome corridors and lots of traipsing about between lessons, and endless prayers and chapel. Oh, and caramel biscuits on saints days.

lisa_coles__burnet_

Postby lisa_coles__burnet_ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 pm

[quoted]
patrick wrote:
Any information about the choir of the St.Mary's School,Baldslow who made a record in 1973,'Stabat Mater',conducter Doreen Carter,would be welcome..
[/quoted]

I was a day girl at this school for 2 years leaving in 1963. There is a Facebook group for St Mary's, Baldslow and some choir members are on it. Any other day girls from my time?

patrick

Postby patrick » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:01 pm

[img://www.hastingsforum.co.uk/forums/sf_attachments/IMG_4261.JPG]

fredsanter

Postby fredsanter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm

my dad was the maintinence man at st marys during the 70s. I have fond memories of the place and feel like I know it inside out having had access to all areas.I loved the old house some of the groundfloor rooms were beautiful looking out over the terrace and lawns.Their grounds extended to st annes, which they [the nuns] had built as a new dormitory block. The original being in harrow lane which was after being demolished sold and subsequently built on . At the time my dad said they had taken bad advice. This proved to be write soon after they were in financial trouble numbers of both borders and nuns were dwindling and it eventually closed with the remaining nuns moving to Liverpool.I was interested to hear that the nuns cemetery is still in whats left of the woods. I could rabble on more but perhaps that's enough for now.

Chris in 1066

Postby Chris in 1066 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Together with my teenage daughter, we are attempting to research and write the history of Baldslow Village and its people covering the last 150 years or so.
Holmhurst in the time of Augustus Hare and Holmhurst St Mary under Mother Agnes Mason play a big part in the village history as does the small village school and the old Iron church or "Tin Tabernacle" as it was often known that was opposite St Mary before they widened the road in the 1970,s. I would be happy to receive any stories or memories of the above to be included in the forthcoming web site on the village.
You can see how it is shaping by visiting WWW.BALDSLOW.COM (but in small case not capitals)

I would appreciate feedback on same

Chris in 1066

Chris in 1066

Postby Chris in 1066 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm

The Iron Cross of Mother-Foundress Agnes Mason - died 19th Dec 1941 aged 92 years, taken a couple of weeks ago..
Attachments
SAM_1707.JPG
Last edited by Chris in 1066 on Fri May 15, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris in 1066

Postby Chris in 1066 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:55 pm

and the lady herself

Mother-Foundress Agnes Mason

Chris in 1066
Attachments
motheragnes1.jpg
Last edited by Chris in 1066 on Fri May 15, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doreen_carter

Postby doreen_carter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Please contact me for information regarding Stabat Mater or the Mass by Doreen Carter. I am Doreen!

Return to “Schools and Colleges”