Barton School for Girls and Kindergarten ( No more)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
barbann

Re: Barton School for Girls and Kindergarten ( No more)

Postby barbann » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi Gerald
I was also at Barton at the same time as you and Tom (Barbara Simmonds), names you have mentioned are ringing bells. I remember lunch at the Foster's, elocution with Miss Porch and the Miss Dann's, There are memories of going to a party at your home in Sedlescombe (?) in deep snow and your father collecting me and others in his land rover. As you said we are all in our mid sixties now but memories linger.....

Nigel Jackson

Postby Nigel Jackson » Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 pm

Pleased to see a few more entries since visiting last from familiar names from long ago .
After thirty odd years living in the New Forest I returned to this area in retirement . Often drive past the place which now looks empty although it seemed to be operating as a nursery school a few years back

victoriamachin

Postby victoriamachin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:44 am

I went to Barton School from 1959 to 1963. My name was Victoria Spratt, from when I was 4 1/2 to almost 8. I remember the three ladies who ran it very well, Miss Dann (Irene) the eldest and headmistress and then Miss Rosina and Miss Rowena, her sisters. I still have all my school reports from that time! I also have my school summer hat - the same as the winter one but in straw, and I have photos of me in my school uniform. A grey pleated skirt with straps, a green and grey striped tie, can't remember if the shirts were grey or green. A grey coat and a grey winter hat. In the summer we had green and white striped dresses. I remember going along the road to Mr and Mrs Foster for lunch, a rather dark house and we all sat round a huge table, and huge treacle puddings on massive plates, and I think we had to wear pinnies! I remember the classrooms, and the basement where I think we had our bottles of milk at break time. I remember doing needlework with Miss Rosina. I think we used to go to St Matthew's church hall for some things. I do remember the production of Alice in Wonderland at White Rock Pavilion, and indeed I have a photo of it. I was one of three little maids and had to do a dance. My friend Rosemary was an oyster. I remember Rosemary Shaw, a vicar's daughter who I recontacted a few years ago (she lives in Australia) and Ruth Gandon, also a vicar's daughter, and Sally and Kim, and Arthur and William ..... It was a nice little school! I wish I had a group photo from those days of my class.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”