Barton School for Girls and Kindergarten ( No more)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
marcia_diamant

Postby marcia_diamant » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:05 pm

This school used to be run by the 3 Miss Danns, and there were various other teachers Miss Foulkes, (went on to become Deputy Speaker in the House of Commons) Miss Smith_ _ _thats about all I can recall although there was a young (to me then) teacher who came from Bexhill.

Was there from '56 until '66 very interesting experience. Would like to hear from anyone who was there at the same time_ _ __ _ _

Christine, Jenny, Gillian, Gina, Jackie, and others whose names I cannot recall.

loulou

Re: Barton School for Girls and Kindergarten ( No more)

Postby loulou » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi Marcia, I attended Barton (school) for about a year..In 1965. I remember Miss Rowena and Miss Rosina..and they had another sister-whose name I cant remember, I was 4 when I was there, but there were boys as well as girls when I was there..I can remember us going out to the back garden on nice sunny days and playing games. Also the summer and winter uniforms (with hats!) Do you know if its still there? as I now live in Bristol_ _ __ _ _.
Hope to hear some more information, Louise..

cheb

Postby cheb » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

I went to the Kindergarten in 1973 - 1975, didn't know it was a school too; maybe it wasn't by that time? It was on Sedlescome Road South near the top of Springfield Road. It was still operating as Barton Nursery until about 2 years ago. It closed and was empty for a short time, the building is now being used as a nursery school again but is not Barton any longer_ _ _..I think it's Hippo Nursery now but don't quote me on that although I go past it almost daily I'm not terribly observant!

I remember desks that had lift up lids, we used to hide our heads inside and whisper to each other. I also remember playing in the garden and eating our lunch in the kitchen, I think we sat at breakfast bars. I also remember having music lessons downstairs and the teacher was obviously an alien as she told us she had eyes in the back of her head; that's how she could see that Christina was lifting her skirt and showing her lacey petticoat off!! How dumb was I not to notice the mirror strategically placed!!! Mind I was only 4 at hte time. :)

lisa_coles__burnet_

Postby lisa_coles__burnet_ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm

[quoted]
Marcia Diamant wrote:
This school used to be run by the 3 Miss Danns, and there were various other teachers Miss Foulkes, (went on to become Deputy Speaker in the House of Commons) Miss Smith_ _ _thats about all I can recall although there was a young (to me then) teacher who came from Bexhill.

Was there from '56 until '66 very interesting experience. Would like to hear from anyone who was there at the same time_ _ __ _ _

Christine, Jenny, Gillian, Gina, Jackie, and others whose names I cannot recall.
[/quoted]

I was at this school leaving about '57. My brother also attended. The Miss Danns lived in our road, Vale Road. Miss Rose Dann played the piano, Miss Rowena Dann was Head and taught maths, I can't recall what Miss Rosina did. Miss Smith was my class teacher and taught reading and geography and probably every thing else as well. There was a french laldy who we called Mamzelle who cam sometimes to teach french. We had to walk to a local guest house for lunch. There was very little games. A library in the attic was the best place.

barb_f

Postby barb_f » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:35 pm

I also attended Barton from 1956, age 4, until about 1961. I have some hazy memories but do vividly remember Miss Rowena and Miss Rosina. There was a girl called Moira, Gillian Coates and Peter Wheeler. The young (?) teacher from Bexhill I think was Miss McCormack. My parents then sent me to the local Junior School after they received a call from Miss Rowena saying I had been naughty and could I be told off!! I can't remember what I did but I'm sure it was something very tame. Lunches were at Mr and Mrs Foster's house, Rose Cottage, at the top of Gillsmans Hill, the meat was always very chewy and you had to sit there until you had eaten it all..yuk!

nik_radcliffe

Postby nik_radcliffe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:44 pm

I attended Barton's Kindergaten from about 1953 till I went onto a Prep School on the Ridge somehwere (I forget its name at the moment). I remember we had to walk some where for lunch (probably The Fosters - thank you Barb F), There we had to lie down to digest our food for 15 minutes and listen to the radio. "Listen with Mother" was it?

Gina

Postby Gina » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:42 pm

I attended Barton School from 1960 to 1968. I remember the Miss Danns as being very kind, especially Miss Rowena, who took the young children, and Miss Rosina, who taught sewing and sometimes drawing. The eldest Miss Dann died not that long ago. I loved the drama lessons and choral speaking at the Musical Festival. Does any else remember the production of Alice Through the Looking Glass? I and several of my friends were Oysters, from the poem the Walrus and the Carpenter. I have a photo somewhere_ _ _..

Nigeljackson

Postby Nigeljackson » Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Very surprised to find this. I attended the Kindergarten from 1955 -59 aged 3 to 7 and remember both Marcia , Nik and possibly Barbara..
The Three Miss Danns were very grey but very good teachers, keeping us engaged and motivated all day long. Days would start with arms folded and 'Golden Keys' in position. Concerts were performed at the White Rock and 'Drill' took place in the Music Room. Nowhere to play at break time though. Avoided school lunches as I only lived round the corner and was allowed to walk home on my own after being seen over the road!!!

Think most of the boys went on to Westerleigh or (Hydney) House while I was sent to Hurst Court .
Used to catch up with some of them at Cricket fixtures.

Have a good memory for names so here we go. Susan ,Toni, Jennifer,x 2
Gillian, Glynnis ? Francis, Carol, Wendy, Judith, Jill, Jacqueline, Barbara, John x 2
Christopher x2 Robert, Richard, Billy, Roger,Gerald Tommy, Joseph, Nicholas x2 Henry, Jeremy , and Peter. There was also a very nice Chinese girl whose name escapes me.

michael_clayton

Postby michael_clayton » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Do any of you remember Penelope Wall?

She was a pupil there in the mid-1950s. Her parents ran a care home in St. Saviours Road, where I lived from 1952-55.

Her brothers went to Winton (?) House.

susan_pearson

Postby susan_pearson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:54 pm

My Sister went to Bartons (my Mum called it that!). She must have attended at around age 4. She was born in 1947 so this would have been in 1951 or 1952. Her name at that time was Doris Pearson. I am four years younger than her and was born in 1951. However, I can clearly remember her coming home in her little green blazer and a round brimmed cream and green trimmed hat. She must have attended for a couple of years otherwise I wouldn't be able to remember all that! Can anyone confirm if my memories of the uniform are correct? We lived in St Matthews Gardens, a short way down the road, but I expect my Mum would have taken her to and from school at that age.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”