St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1963)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
Dee16

Re: St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1963)

Postby Dee16 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Dear Daffodil
My mother, Sheila Beggs, attended St. Margaret's for a number of years until 1937 while her parents were in India. I have 3 school magazines for the years 1933,34 and 35. I knew that your mother had signed my mother's school autograph book, so I looked through the magazines and have found several references about your mother as follows -
1933 She played left half in the hockey team "a very good player, whose neat stick work is a great asset"
She passed Royal Academy of Music Higher Division exam
Cambridge Examinations School Certificate 1934 she gained credit in English, Scripture, History, Botany and Mathematics
Elocution she gained a Silver Medal
She played left half in the hockey team 1st X1 - a comment says "she was a very good half who will be severely missed from the team"
On Easter Monday 1934 the school Dramatic Society presented "Marigold" a Scottish comedy of the Victorian period. "An enthusiastic audience divided the honours between Ailsa Morrison's whimsical and serene Mrs. Pringle and Daffodil Asquith's charming study of the name-part"

In the 1935 magazine under old girls' news and addresses there is an entry about your mother and her forwarding address was listed as 3 Cumbatta Hill, Bombay, India with the comment "We were very sorry to say goodbye to Daffodil who has gone out to spend some time with her people before taking up some form of dramatic training."

In the 1934 magazine there is an entry written by your mother, entitled "A Musical Fantasy" -it is a bit too long to copy it here but I would be happy to lend you the magazine if you would like to borrow it.

Your mother was clearly very active in several aspects of school life and I hope you will find these entries of interest.

SusanCopus

Re: St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1963)

Postby SusanCopus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:57 pm

I know this post is years after the previous thread, but my mother went to the school, in the 1930, I think. The girls had to go for compulsory walks before breakfast. But they had wonderful freedom, wandering the grounds unsupervised. And they were allowed to keep pets, and a couple of them had horses. I think Mum had a hamster!

I have found a photograph, so here it is:[attachment=0]St Margaret's School, St Helens, Hastings 1920-1930.pdf
Attachments
St Margaret's School, St Helens, Hastings 1920-1930.pdf
(210.5 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Return to “Schools and Colleges”