St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1963)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
jenifer_foster

Re: St Margaret's Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx

Postby jenifer_foster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:13 am

[quoted]
Jocelyn Marriner wrote:
I went to St. Margaret's from 1955 to 1958 I remember Jenifer Moore we were in the same dormitory when we started at the school, the girl from Iran which was then called Persia, was called Mercedes as far as I know she is living in America and is married to one of the Kellogg's family.
The school was on the Ridge in the village of Ore. I have photos of the school and pupils and am still in touch with many of the girls who were in the same form, we certainly didn't have to wash in the water in our hot water bottles, though the dormitories were very cold in the winter.
Why does John Wood want information?
[/quoted]
Jocelyn,I think I remember you. Thanks for the reply.
There were 2 Persian girls one was tall and seemed older and the other one smaller and looked younger, I can't remember their names, the older girl could have been Mercedes, and the younger one was possibly the princess.
I'd love to see the pictures you have?
By the way, I don't know why John Wood wants this information, maybe he's writing a book!

jenifer_foster

Postby jenifer_foster » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:17 am

[quoted]
jane ogborne wrote:
[quoted]
John Wood wrote:
I am seeking further information of this remarkable school, and its even more remarkable headmistress, Mrs Doris Batty. Life here was severe, to say the least, at least at times,the girl boarders being required to wash, and brush their teeth, in the water from their hot water bottles! The school was situated on the clifftop I believe, and closed when Miss Batty retired in approx 1963. Any further information, photos etc would be warmly appreciated.

John Wood

[/quoted]

I went to this school from 1958 -63. It was the winter of 63 that we had to use our hot water bottle water because of the freezing weather. We were also given 3 squares of bogroll per day handed out by matron. It may have been a good school at it's start but it was dreadful at it's end. I had a tour of the school about 15 years ago when empty and being converted to a nursing home. I live in Canada so don't know what the building is now. I have photos of the school.
[/quoted]

I was a student at St. Margarets from 1955-1959 located on The Ridge.
I wasn't very happy there because I was a full time boarder and my parents were overseas. I do remember Merryvale, a large Tudor style building behind us, students there were treated more leniently than those in the main school building. IRemember that there was an Iranian Princess that attended for about a year or two then left, I'm not sure what part of the Iranian Royal family she was, does anyone know about her? she arrived with another girl (her sister maybe?).
Does anyone have a student list from the fifties?
I remember Miss Batty. We used to call her DB for short. I remember we would all troup to the church across the road for Sunday services.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos, only memories. Is there any one out there who remembers me Jenifer Moore (at the time)?

jenifer_foster

Re: St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1

Postby jenifer_foster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:55 am

[quoted]
jane ogborne wrote:
Anyone remember the tea dances held at an hotel in hastings? We used to stuff ourselves with sandwhiches and cakes and show off our dancing_ _ __ _ _.My friend Penny and I fell down during a demonstration because my shoes were so new and slippery. Got in trouble because we had a huge fit of giggles.
[/quoted]

I don't remember TEA dances, I do remember the yearly Christmas party in a hotel in Hastings. The only thing that was missing were boys to dance with! We had to dance with girls and felt quite stupid when there were good looking Italian men playing in the band, heavens knows what they thought. I don't remember any food.

jenifer_foster

Postby jenifer_foster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:38 am

[quoted]
jane ogborne wrote:
[quoted]
John Wood wrote:
I am seeking further information of this remarkable school, and its even more remarkable headmistress, Mrs Doris Batty. Life here was severe, to say the least, at least at times,the girl boarders being required to wash, and brush their teeth, in the water from their hot water bottles! The school was situated on the clifftop I believe, and closed when Miss Batty retired in approx 1963. Any further information, photos etc would be warmly appreciated.

John Wood

[/quoted]

I went to this school from 1958 -63. It was the winter of 63 that we had to use our hot water bottle water because of the freezing weather. We were also given 3 squares of bogroll per day handed out by matron. It may have been a good school at it's start but it was dreadful at it's end. I had a tour of the school about 15 years ago when empty and being converted to a nursing home. I live in Canada so don't know what the building is now. I have photos of the school.

[/quoted]

Jane, I'd like to see you photos of the school

jenifer_foster

Postby jenifer_foster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 pm

[quoted]
Kay Angell wrote:
I was at St Mags from May 1958 until it closed at the end of the summer term 1963. In the winter of 1963 the pipes in Merrivale remained frozen until the end of March because there was absolutely no heating in the building, or to be accurate, two coal fires each day, one in the classroom on the ground floor and one in a bedroom and those bedrooms with fireplaces took it in turns to have the fire! Water was carried across from the main school to be heated in a huge urn to give us a tiny drop of water in our hot water bottles and we did indeed have to used that water to wash and clean our teeth the following morning! We were freezing and literally everyone had chillblains!! My year was in Upper V 2 when the school closed and some of us and the year above are still in touch and have a reunion lunch in London once a year. What sort of info are you looking for?

I just want to know if anyone has any photos of the boarders at St. Mags from the fifties. I didn't take many photos while I was there. I
'm just curious because I made some good friends there that I have lost contact with, maybe I would like to look them up.
Regarding Merrivale I know it's still there, it's actually for sale.
The address is on Chowns Hill Rd (I think that's close to the name) I got some good pictures on google maps of St. Margarets and the surrounding area, its really been built up. So now I can put that behind me.

]John Wood wrote:[/b]

John Wood
[/quoted]

[/quoted]

patrick

Postby patrick » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Would I be right in thinking that the school grounds covered all the built up area at the back, up to the cemetary, quite a lot of space for the playgrounds and lots of quiet neighbours ! Puzzled as to where Merevales is located because all the houses at the back all look like recently built homes..Did you try Street View on Google ? if not right click on the road,The Ridge,outside the school on the the Satellite Map, and a caption appears, click on Whats here ! and a little green sign comes on, then on the left hand side of the screen you will the word More, click on this and the Street View comes on, with the aid of the arrows you can move the view up and down, not only on the Ridge but in Chowns Hill, it has a lovely view of the school,taken on a nice sunny day !

jenifer_foster

Postby jenifer_foster » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 am

[quoted]
Jocelyn Marriner wrote:
I went to St. Margaret's from 1955 to 1958 I remember Jenifer Moore we were in the same dormitory when we started at the school, the girl from Iran which was then called Persia, was called Mercedes as far as I know she is living in America and is married to one of the Kellogg's family.
The school was on the Ridge in the village of Ore. I have photos of the school and pupils and am still in touch with many of the girls who were in the same form, we certainly didn't have to wash in the water in our hot water bottles, though the dormitories were very cold in the winter.
[/quoted]

I would love to see some of the pictures you have and who you keep in touch with. I have lost touch with many of the girls. we were there at the same time and I do remember you.

jenifer_foster

Postby jenifer_foster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:51 pm

[quoted]
Jocelyn Marriner wrote:
[/quoted]

judith__judy__bryden

Postby judith__judy__bryden » Sun May 15, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm delighted to have found this forum. I was at St.Margaret's from 1955 to 1958. I havn't kept in touch with anyone but would love to renew contact with Bridget Dunn who was in my form and was a good friend. I was very unhappy at St. Margaret's. The Matron was called Miss Maxted and she was quite vindictive. Yes, I remember it was freezing cold in winter there and most girls had chilblains. I do not remember Miss Batty (D.B.) with any fondness. She was prone to targeting certain girls (particularly on Sundays!), whom she picked out for punishment for various 'crimes'. I was one of them on several occasions. Her particular speciality was humiliation of a girl in front of the juniors. I remember she had very bad feet and hobbled. Perhaps she was in a lot of pain. The ethos at St.Mag's was one of petty snobbery. I do remember also the Persian girls. They were called Heideh and Mercedes Tavakoli and I think Heideh married into the Iranian Royal Family, tho' I'm not sure. I'd love to hear from anyone who was in my form, e.g. Annette Godwin-Williams, who I think married into the Courtauld family; Pamela Moll; Veronica Morrison; Sally Watson. Can't remember any other names but I'd particularly like to contact Bridget Dunn.

jenifer_foster

Postby jenifer_foster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 am

[quoted]
Judith (Judy) Bryden wrote:
I'm delighted to have found this forum. I was at St.Margaret's from 1955 to 1958. I havn't kept in touch with anyone but would love to renew contact with Bridget Dunn who was in my form and was a good friend. I was very unhappy at St. Margaret's. The Matron was called Miss Maxted and she was quite vindictive. Yes, I remember it was freezing cold in winter there and most girls had chilblains. I do not remember Miss Batty (D.B.) with any fondness. She was prone to targeting certain girls (particularly on Sundays!), whom she picked out for punishment for various 'crimes'. I was one of them on several occasions. Her particular speciality was humiliation of a girl in front of the juniors. I remember she had very bad feet and hobbled. Perhaps she was in a lot of pain. The ethos at St.Mag's was one of petty snobbery. I do remember also the Persian girls. They were called Heideh and Mercedes Tavakoli and I think Heideh married into the Iranian Royal Family, tho' I'm not sure. I'd love to hear from anyone who was in my form, e.g. Annette Godwin-Williams, who I think married into the Courtauld family; Pamela Moll; Veronica Morrison; Sally Watson. Can't remember any other names but I'd particularly like to contact Bridget Dunn.
[/quoted]

thanks for the information on the 2 Iranian girls. Do you remember me Jenifer Moore at the time? I was there between 1955 and 1958

Return to “Schools and Colleges”