St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1963)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
judith_margaret

Re: St Margarets Boarding School for Girls ( closed approx 1

Postby judith_margaret » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:35 am

[quoted]
jenifer foster wrote:
[quoted]
Judith (Judy) Bryden wrote:
I'm delighted to have found this forum. I was at St.Margaret's from 1955 to 1958. I havn't kept in touch with anyone but would love to renew contact with Bridget Dunn who was in my form and was a good friend. I was very unhappy at St. Margaret's. The Matron was called Miss Maxted and she was quite vindictive. Yes, I remember it was freezing cold in winter there and most girls had chilblains. I do not remember Miss Batty (D.B.) with any fondness. She was prone to targeting certain girls (particularly on Sundays!), whom she picked out for punishment for various 'crimes'. I was one of them on several occasions. Her particular speciality was humiliation of a girl in front of the juniors. I remember she had very bad feet and hobbled. Perhaps she was in a lot of pain. The ethos at St.Mag's was one of petty snobbery. I do remember also the Persian girls. They were called Heideh and Mercedes Tavakoli and I think Heideh married into the Iranian Royal Family, tho' I'm not sure. I'd love to hear from anyone who was in my form, e.g. Annette Godwin-Williams, who I think married into the Courtauld family; Pamela Moll; Veronica Morrison; Sally Watson. Can't remember any other names but I'd particularly like to contact Bridget Dunn.
[/quoted]

thanks for the information on the 2 Iranian girls. Do you remember me Jenifer Moore at the time? I was there between 1955 and 1958
[/quoted]

I believe I lived in the house next door to your school in 1958-1959. It was located on the corner of The Ridge and Elphinston Road. I'm very interested in this area as it was a fairly dramatic time in my life. I wonder if you can remember anything about this home? I believe it was demolished eventually but I would appreciate any information.

judith_nocton

Postby judith_nocton » Thu May 03, 2012 1:30 pm

[quoted]
I'm delighted to have found this forum. I was at St.Margaret's from 1955 to 1958. I havn't kept in touch with anyone but would love to renew contact with Bridget Dunn who was in my form and was a good friend. I was very unhappy at St. Margaret's. The Matron was called Miss Maxted and she was quite vindictive. Yes, I remember it was freezing cold in winter there and most girls had chilblains. I do not remember Miss Batty (D.B.) with any fondness. She was prone to targeting certain girls (particularly on Sundays!), whom she picked out for punishment for various 'crimes'. I was one of them on several occasions. Her particular speciality was humiliation of a girl in front of the juniors. I remember she had very bad feet and hobbled. Perhaps she was in a lot of pain. The ethos at St.Mag's was one of petty snobbery. I do remember also the Persian girls. They were called Heideh and Mercedes Tavakoli and I think Heideh married into the Iranian Royal Family, tho' I'm not sure. I'd love to hear from anyone who was in my form, e.g. Annette Godwin-Williams, who I think married into the Courtauld family; Pamela Moll; Veronica Morrison; Sally Watson. Can't remember any other names but I'd particularly like to contact Bridget Dunn.
[/quoted]
Hullo Judy, Do you remember me? I was delighted to find you amongst the various people who have written. Judith (Judie) Nocton. I was always in trouble and spent most meals at "baby Meals"!!! I was extremely unhappy at St. Margarets - but I often wonder about various girls in my class. I am in touch with Susan (Keen) James.

judith_bryden

Postby judith_bryden » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi Judith! Yes, I do remember you, tho' only vaguely. Do you have any more memories of St Margarets?

lucygodwin

Postby lucygodwin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:33 pm

A long reach back in time but hopeful someone can help. My mother attended St. Margarets as a boarder from approx. 1924 to 1928. Yup that long ago. Any clue who I can contact to see if there are school records stashed somewhere? Or anyone out there have a Granny who attended and you may have old photos. My mother's name was Monica Godwin. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints or information. Lucy

anabel_m_bedard

Postby anabel_m_bedard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:43 am

[quoted]
[/quoted]

i remember you judy. i was anabel lumley, always bottom of the class. i still keep in touch with anne scott. she did cookery and other stuff up in the old coach house. she lived at the cottage. miss batty certainly was unpleasant. perhaps her hormones were malfunctioning. she certainly made me nervouse. you never knew who she was going to pick on next. i think she had bunions. i remember her hats. floral confections thta she wore when she went up to london. i believe she retired to the west country and shared a house with matron keeling. do you ever hear from judy harris?

anabel_m_bedard

Postby anabel_m_bedard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 pm

[quoted]
Judith Nocton wrote:
[quoted]
[/quoted]
Hullo Judy, Do you remember me? I was delighted to find you amongst the various people who have written. Judith (Judie) Nocton. I was always in trouble and spent most meals at "baby Meals"!!! I was extremely unhappy at St. Margarets - but I often wonder about various girls in my class. I am in touch with Susan (Keen) James.

[/quoted]

hi judie,
i remember you. you had to stand in cold hallways in your free time. i never really understood what you had done. it was mean and uncalled for. miss batty seemed to delight in singling out girls for punishment. i hope you have had a better life since then.
i am anabel (lumley)Bedard. i was terrified of db. one never knew what kind of a mood she was in. i couldn't wait to leave.didn't you live with a relative in norfolk. your parents were overseas.
hope to hear from you. ana

jenny_gosney

Postby jenny_gosney » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:58 am

I was Jenny Walton when I was at St Margaret's from 1944 - 1949
I started at The Manor at Sutton Courtney as the school was evacuated there during the war. We returned to Hastings in 1945 .
I was head girl and the hockey captain and really loved the school after hating it for the first two terms !
I regularly keep in touch with 3 people who were at St Mags with me - my cousin Ann Walton, Pat Hornsby, Binker Jones and we all have lunch together and look at old school photos etc:
I would love to hear from anyone who was at St Margaret's during the 40's or early 50's but as we are now all so old it might be difficult ??!!

Daffodil

Postby Daffodil » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:09 pm

My mother, Daffodil Asquith, was at St Margaret's in the 1930s. Her parents lived in India. The Hastings & St Leonards Observer Sat 18 Nov 1933 records that she obtained her Grade V (HigherPiano Exam. She was my mother. She died tragically when I was only 6yrs old. Are there any records that would tell me more about her, does anybody know?

Callen

Postby Callen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:36 am

Hello Jenny,
I remember you well as a kindly, friendly person. It's a long time since we were all at St Margaret's together. I often wonder what has happened to everybody and it is really nice to hear that some of you are still in contact with each other. After being brought up on a farm I found it quite a culture shock but I remember there were some really nice girls. Dorris Batty was certainly scary. I'm well, keeping fit and busy in spite of old age.
Best Wishes to you all, Margery Jarvis (1946 - 1948)

Suzie Sue

Postby Suzie Sue » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:09 pm

While tidying my elderly mother's house we found pictures of Daffodil Asquith taken when they were at school together at St Margarets, if that is of any interest . If you reply on the forum and want to get in touch directly that is fine with me.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”