Hollington Park School for Girls (now closed)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
VJ

Postby VJ » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Ginette - I was in the same class as your sister Jackie. What's she doing these days? Has she stayed in touch with anyone? VJ

patvick

Re: Hollington Park School for Girls (now closed)

Postby patvick » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:24 pm

The book in the Hasting Reference Library goes by the name of "The Leaflet" Sapiens Qui Assiduus..'The History of the Winchester House School and the Hollington Park School 1860-1976' by Susan Pittman and Rosalind McNamara, published in 2001.Plenty of b/white illustrations of former pupils and staff.. Winchester House was converted into flats in the 1940's and there is a picture of it on Flikr the photo sharing site..it is empty and boarded up..

carol_narburgh_meagher

Postby carol_narburgh_meagher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:05 pm

vivian booth wrote:
I was a student at Hollington Park from 1965 to 1968. I was wondering when Susan Buller attended. I remember Miss Amos very well.

went to HPS from 1959 till 1963 Miss Amos was head mistress and I thought she was awful. I would love to hear from someone who went there.We could talk about all the awful rules and punishments.

carol_narburgh_meagher

Postby carol_narburgh_meagher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Phyllis Mervine wrote:
I attended HPS 1957-1959. Still have my school photo and can name many of the faces. The headmistress was Miss Beeforth. Miss Amos was her sidekick. What dragons we thought they were! I've just been googling former classmates' names with no success. Vivian, thanks for your tip. I remember the "nones" - very tiny servings in the dining room. We couldn't actually have "none." Some girls would spread their "none" around the plate and the clearer would try to slip it past matron.

Did you all have a "woolly horror"? Our pet name for the woollen bathing suit which actually probably did insulate us from the frigid water.

Breaking the rules (and they were numerous): going out of bounds, eating green chestnuts, holding the bannister, talking after lights out, polishing the wooden toilet seat at Castlemaine if we were caught.

Ah, those were the days!

Hi I am sure I was there at the same time. Dripping sandwitches on Mondays, elephants nose blows for dessert. Those horrible bathing suits in the English Channel. It was the worst 3 years of my life. Remember me I never made it out of the front row.

phyllis_mervine

Postby phyllis_mervine » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:03 am

Carol, I think you may have arrived just after I left in the summer of '59. I remember the dripping sandwiches but never heard of nose blows! I wonder what that was. It sounds dreadful! We enjoyed the "tarts" which they baked in huge sheets (with whole wheat flour, if I remember correctly), thinly spread with jam or lemon curd. Sometimes they let us have several pieces, and I remember being rather a pig on occasion. Also when we had birthdays, we ordered huge cakes for at least double the class size, so we ate enormous pieces!

I thought it was an interesting experience - not the worst of my life at all.

Phyllis Mervine

maureen_mcdonald_blencoe

Postby maureen_mcdonald_blencoe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 am

I also attended HPS from 1957-1959 an experience that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

simone_mackinnon

Postby simone_mackinnon » Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 am

I was at the school from 1956 to 1958 my name was Lesley Davies, does anyone remember me? Sad to see the old place destroyed, it was a very happy time for me. Yes I remember being out of bounds, midnight feasts that we forgot to wake up for. Winnie the Pooh who ran the Guides group and Sundays on the rugs. Freezing at lacrosse in the winter.

doggie

Postby doggie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi everyone

I have just come across this forum - what a treat!
I was at HPS for two years (1960 ish) and laughed out loud when I read some of the posts.
What a time we had.
I remember Amo well and the dragon Bridgewood too.
I was in the same class as Annie Grimble, Debbie Sheasby, Ti Waterhouse, Toni Reavell-Carter among others of course.
I'd love to hear from any one else who was in that class - it's time for a full scale reunion.

I was known as Diana Johnston aka "Doggie Face" (given by Annie!)

Alice-Carol-narburgh

Postby Alice-Carol-narburgh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello,
I am visiting London with my daughters and plan to show them the school grounds. I would love to reminisce with anyone who might have been there from about 1957-1960 or 1961.
I know Randy Horth and Ann and Margaret McKenzie attended during that time.
Carol Narburgh

Julie1987

Postby Julie1987 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi all
Just found this website !
I was at Hollington from 1971-1976,
Friend were and some still are Debbie Carey, Mooney (Julie Moon ) Di Johnson, Sheena Fowler
I remember getting a letter home for raiding the larder !, look out for friends meeting boys !!!
and also cold Lacrosse !!! anyone else out there ??!!!

Return to “Schools and Colleges”