Hollington Park School for Girls (now closed)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
Julia

Re: Hollington Park School for Girls (now closed)

Postby Julia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:03 pm

I was at Hollington then too & was in Castlemaine with GC & then in the main building. I so want to find the friends & people I knew then. Jayne Stevens, Katie Johnson etc. I'm also trying to find Elizabeth Pierce who had a little girl & taught English. She went to Ancaster House School & then we lost touch. Can anyone help please?

Peta Rose

Re: Hollington Park School for Girls (now closed)

Postby Peta Rose » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:17 pm

Goodness! To Phyllis who wrote she was there 1957 to 1959. So was I :(
Miss Bridgwood of Castlemaine (my bete noir) still gives me nightmares
at the age of 78.

I believe she was from Yorkshire? She was always saying "you maake time!"
Remember leading some girls on an escape at night, in raincoats over pyjams to be caught by some friendly police and returned to her - so much polishing needed :(

My name was Gay Lewis then and my parents eventually allowed me to leave that place when my school report stated "she is even rude to the horses"! Think one of the headmistresses was 'going out with' the Riding Instructor.

I was Tony Lumpkin in a School for Scandal and then Katisha in the summer show of The Mikado until Miss Beeforth took me out a few days before the much vaunted main show in the town - because, she insisted, I was 'sighing' as I came into a room as they were telling off a few of the girls when, in fact, I was out of breath from running up the stairs because I was late :(

I believe a girl named Christine Spence was my understudy and she mostly had to speak the lines of the songs instead of singing them. I was in the audience as my parents were due and will always remember our lovely english teacher at the time coming up to me and patting my shoulder with sympathy ;)

I was Tony Lumpkin in a School for Scandal and then Katisha in the summer show of The Mikado until Miss Beeforth took me out a few days before the much vaunted main show in the town - because, she insisted, I was 'sighing' as I came into a room as they were telling off a few of the girls when, in fact, I was out of breath from running up the stairs because I was late :(

Believe a girl named Christine Spence was my understudy and she mostly had to speak the lines of the songs instead of singing them. I was in the audience as my parents were due and will always remember our lovely english teacher at the time coming up to me and patting my shoulder with sympathy ;)

Return to “Schools and Colleges”