Distances from schools

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
anna_b

Distances from schools

Postby anna_b » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:22 am

I'm a bit puzzled by this, there don't seem to be that many secondary schools in Hastings (mind you I have only where I live to compare where there are over 6 in a 2 mile radius of my house) so every house that I look at to buy is about 2 miles away from a school,what happens then? Does that mean my daughter is out the catchment area of every secondary school? In my area each school has a one mile catchment area. Are there school buses or do the kids just get normal buses?
I find the concept of not being able to walk to school really weird but maybe my area is the exception lol?

peter_lawson

Re: Distances from schools

Postby peter_lawson » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:38 am

Our son started at William Parker last September we live over a mile away from the school,we were told that the school takes boys from 27 different primary schools so the catchment area is going to be huge compared to London.Our son walks to school.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Distances from schools

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:25 pm

I guess there are only enough secondary schools in an area to accommodate the population. If you live in a more densely populated area there would be a need for more schools. There are buses (some public/school shared and some specific for the schools) to all the secondary schools but many kids do walk.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Return to “Schools and Colleges”