Lost? school

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
ivor_standen

Re: Lost? school

Postby ivor_standen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:01 am

mr chariot was also a B grade maths teacher, not a bad bloke as i recall.
mr sadler was my form master
mr tanton was chemistry/science, but fortunately didn;t teach me but was my year master.
mr turner, who was ageing rapidly through drink, who i think taught english.
mr brown, english, who also had a son in the same year as me who played in the football team.
Mr jain, a foreign teacher who taught maths I think.
mr Irwin, who taught metalwork in the mt,pleasant annex, who was good at magic tricks.
And not forgetting mr siegentiler, who taught french in room 2.

patoprynn

Postby patoprynn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:08 pm

[quoted]
G.K. wrote:
[quoted]
Terry again wrote:

Another anacdote I recall: A bald woodwork teacher whose name escapes me
[/quoted]

There were 2, Mr Grant who was short and bald and Mr Lambert who was tall and bald.

Other names:

Mr Sadler_ _ _..Metal work
Mr Chapman_ _ _..Metal Work
Mr Friendly _ _ _..Art
Mr Charrot _ _ __ _ _??? Careers advice
Mr George_ _ __ _ _English
Mr McMath_ _ _..Maths
Mr Billings_ _ _..Maths
Mr Fletcher_ _ __ _ _PE

There was a seriously Hunch back teacher with a club foot who was one of the nicest men I have ever met,,,,,but I can't remember his name????

I read that Kimbers wife died a few weeks back, she was a very good singer in her day apparently.

Trying to remember which teachers hit me with a slipper or cane_ _ _..probably most of them.
[/quoted]

patoprynn

teachers names

Postby patoprynn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:21 pm

al of the teachers seemed to have nicknames when i was there in 1948-1952
Weasel White Puffer Gritfiths'Dogs dinner etc It was quite a strict school and the cane and slipper were no stranger to mis behaving pupils.Mr Shaw was art teracher and a very good cricketer .Mr Grant was metal work teacher and a bit of a terror, The headmaster was Mr Reid a very cold and allof character , his nick name was tas for some unkbown reason .Pat Prynn

anomboy

Postby anomboy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 am

[quoted]
Ivor Standen wrote:
mr chariot was also a B grade maths teacher, not a bad bloke as i recall.
mr sadler was my form master
mr tanton was chemistry/science, but fortunately didn;t teach me but was my year master.
mr turner, who was ageing rapidly through drink, who i think taught english.
mr brown, english, who also had a son in the same year as me who played in the football team.
Mr jain, a foreign teacher who taught maths I think.
mr Irwin, who taught metalwork in the mt,pleasant annex, who was good at magic tricks.
And not forgetting mr siegentiler, who taught french in room 2.
[/quoted]

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 pm

I remember Mr Woolf who was my maths and form teacher. He was very strict but nonetheless did manage to get me an O level. He used to live in Eastbourne.
In the next door class room there was Mr Hatch, the french master who was equally strict. In my third year he once sent me to the Head Master as I decided not to get a book from the class library to read in the form period but instead I bought my own book which was about the Profumo affair. Mr Hatch confiscated it. After a discussion with the head he said I could have the book back but said I should read it at home as it was a little advanced.

In my fourth or fifth form my friends had a bet on who of us could annoy Mr Uren the RI teacher and get the slipper earliest in the class. I won when it was less than a minute or so before I had done so. Happy days.
Mr Uren was a pleasant guy but not to teach in a school like Priory Road. He eventually left after a couple of years and was replaced by the vicar of Central Methodist Chuch. We were all regrettably.cruel to Mr Uren who unfortunately could not maintain any discipline

welldone

Postby welldone » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

[quoted]
patoprynn wrote:
[quoted]
G.K. wrote:
[quoted]
Terry again wrote:

Another anacdote I recall: A bald woodwork teacher whose name escapes me
[/quoted]

There were 2, Mr Grant who was short and bald and Mr Lambert who was tall and bald.

Other names:

Mr Sadler_ _ _..Metal work
Mr Chapman_ _ _..Metal Work
Mr Friendly _ _ _..Art
Mr Charrot _ _ __ _ _??? Careers advice
Mr George_ _ __ _ _English
Mr McMath_ _ _..Maths
Mr Billings_ _ _..Maths
Mr Fletcher_ _ __ _ _PE

There was a seriously Hunch back teacher with a club foot who was one of the nicest men I have ever met,,,,,but I can't remember his name????

I read that Kimbers wife died a few weeks back, she was a very good singer in her day apparently.

Trying to remember which teachers hit me with a slipper or cane_ _ _..probably most of them.
[/quoted]

[/quoted]

welldone

Postby welldone » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:37 pm

[
Tom Chatham was the metalwork teacher

welldone

Postby welldone » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:40 pm

The teacher who had a hunched back was called Alton. He was a very pleasant man as I recall. Kind and quietly spoken.

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 pm

That's right Tom Chatham, he could be quite strict but with a good sense of humour. Seem to remember him making a go-kart?

Mr Alton used to lurk in the library at lunch times. For some reason I developed and interest in Greek Mythology so I used to read the stuff in the library at lunch times, he would always suggest "further reading" without being pushy_ _ _..As you say welldone, a very kind man.

richard1

Postby richard1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 pm

[quoted]
tom wrote:
Does anyone remember Ledsham Court School in St Leonards? I attended the school from 1953 to 1958. The headmistress was Mrs Redfarn

[/quoted]I certainly do remember that dreadful woman. She should have been prosecuted.I was there about 1958-1961 and that was quite long enough. We used to call it Ledsham Court Concentration Camp. Betty was nice, though.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”