Lost? school

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
m_e_telford

Lost? school

Postby m_e_telford » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 am

A friend's mother taught drama at Priory Road Secondary School in either Hastings or St Leonards, 1950-60s.
We wonder if it still exists as we cannot find it on a map or website. Can
anyone help?
Thanks
MT

Peachy

Re: Lost? school

Postby Peachy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:32 am

The only school in priory road now is castledown primary school.
The original school was i believe used for some college courses but was turned into flats last year which is next to where castledown is situated.
hope this is of some use x

peter_simpson

Postby peter_simpson » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Hastings secondary modern school for boys was the building next door-ish to what is now Castledown Infants; it was known as 'Priory Road' and may have had that name officially at some point. It was for boys from Hastings who didn't get into the Grammar school - at that time The Grove served the same function for St Leonards. When education was 'comprehensivised' in 1978 'Priory Road' was effectively merged with the Grammar school to form William Parker, and I think the Priory Road site stopped being used by the school at that point or soon after; a new building was built on part of 'our' playing field - I was at the Grammar school but left the July before the first comprehensive intake arrived in September_ _ _

Stone

Postby Stone » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Would that have been St Marys School for Boys, Priory, listed in Pigots Sussex Directory of 1832 to 1834? I am researching the Stone family who lived in Hastings and may have had a connection to this school. In particular Henry Nicholas Stone. Grateful for any information. Thanks.

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:27 pm

I had a first class education, sadly it was interupted by Priory rd school from 1968-72 but resumed shortly there after.

Friends reunited has info and pics about this place. Logon and do a search for "Hastings secondary school for boys", you should find it.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:31 pm

In the early sixties Mrs Curtis was the drama teacher at Priory Road Sch (Hastings Sec School for Boys). Her son Colin was a pupil who eventually went back to the School as a teacher I think. It was at the corner of Croft Road /Whitefriars Road and Priory Road

I visited recently The building is now converted to flats.

tom

Postby tom » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:16 pm

Does anyone remember Ledsham Court School in St Leonards? I attended the school from 1953 to 1958. The headmistress was Mrs Redfarn

Terry

Postby Terry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:31 pm

I attended this school from 1964 - 1968. There was only one female teacher that I can recall, Mrs or Miss McCormack (at least I think that was her name). She mainly taught speech when I was there as they didn't like accents and I had a strong East London one. The two main buildings and the gym remain, but as already stated, the main buildings are now apartments. I'm not sure what the gym is used for now. All the outbuildings were demolished to make way for Castledown School and one of the playgrounds is used by the residents as a car park. The school was built in the 19th century and replaced several other schools. It stands on the corner of Croft Road and Priory Road. It recieved bomb damage in World War two. The gym was built in the early 60s and is at the further up Priory Road with Castledown School in between it and the main buildings. The school was too small for the number of boys and from 1966/7 girls and we were often sent to annexes in Clive Vale and at Mount Pleasent school and sometime even to Hillcrest. Next door to the gym was the canteen and next to that was a fire station.

Terry

Postby Terry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 pm

The School playing fields were on the East Hill.

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 am

As I mentioned above, went there from 68-72. The Lady teachers I remember were Mrs Curtis (english and drama), Miss Caraz (french), Mrs Tanton (english and Mr Tantons wife)

Ms McCormack left (I think) at the end of 67.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”