Boarding Schools/on the the ridge or old london road

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
chris_roycroft

Re: Boarding Schools/on the the ridge or old london road

Postby chris_roycroft » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Susan Pearson wrote:
Hi there, I attended Sacred Heart Convent in Old London Road from 1959 to 1962. I remember there were girls in the school who were from Sandrock, although I didn't know what Sandrock was at the time! I particularly remember Angeletta who was in my class. Anyone else remember her? I think she broke her leg at one time and everyone wanted to sign her plaster cast!

Was that Angeletta Begonni she had a sister called Christine Begonni if I remember correctly.

denise_harper_dias

Postby denise_harper_dias » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:05 pm

julia oboyle wrote:
There was a boarding/day school called Ledsham Court, which I attended from 1963. Dont remember much about it we had grey skirts and a striped blazer,

my sister Beverley Harper and i attended this school during 1963 - 1967
Denise Dias ne Harper

Pru

Postby Pru » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 am

I was a Girl (pupil) at Lcourt in1877 , it was the happiest school time ever ,I was a boarder .The school is no longer there , burned down apparently , but such happy times we had there.

Pru

Postby Pru » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 am

Cant be us old Darling ,we (Ledgham Court) dressed like St Trinians!

Pru

Postby Pru » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:34 am

OK what year was this ,some of these schools are gone and the local authority seem to have no records , I boarded at Ledgham Court,there were convent schools near Ridge and East hill .What year are you talking about?

peter slatter

Postby peter slatter » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:56 pm

I found myself at ledsham ct in the late 50's. just arrived from Kuwait aged 7, what a dreadfull change! from being a boy with my personal beach! to 50's England and caning on the hands etc etc! waiting in the hall, pitmarked floor,lions all around the walls, my sister was there, as girls went up to 16 or so and boys younger, remember a lot of things, not all bad! it was pulled down not long after, no info really.strange set up though!.. got sent up to a prep school in Cheshire after a year or 2. regards peter

hennesy

Postby hennesy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:59 pm

I was a pupil from 1958 to 1960. I loathed the lot of them. My mother was warned by one of the nuns to take me away or they would kill me which she promptly did.Only to end up in an Irish convent where they were no better!!
Does anyone know a Lena Zecker from that time. We had both lost our fathers much to our regret.
Mary Hennessy

janetleake

Postby janetleake » Sat May 07, 2016 10:43 pm

I stayed at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Convent on a number of occasions during my childhood in 1960s. Fond memories of the nuns. Grassed area with steps like amphitheatre. Dormatories; St Joseph's upper floor and below that two dorms numbered 22 and 23 with wooden shutters which nuns closed at night. Tennis court (?x2). Sand pit outside chapel (originally a swimming pool.) I could go on and name nuns, but perhaps this doesn't coincide with your recollections, which may have been from a different time. Regards, Janet.

RBowskill

Postby RBowskill » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:50 pm

Definitely Sandrock Hall. I was at the primary school, Sacred Heart also run by nuns. Girls from Sandrock came to Sacred Heart. I was there between around 1963 to think it was 1970 so rough time line.

chappellanne

Postby chappellanne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm

I lived at Sandrock Hall on the Ridge from approx; 1955 to 19 57. I alway thought it was a children's home but as I got older I re thought that and realised it was for paying borders. I was there with my 4 younger brothers and sisters. It was a facility for girls but as my brothers and sisters were very young they were taken in as well. I went to Our Lady Star of The Sea school. I cant say I was happy there but that was more to do with being away from home. It was quite strict but I also remember good happy times. Sister Mary Edith would teach us music and I remember us putting on a show for the parents. I also remember using buffers to polish the floors and tying rags on our feet and skating up and down the floors to polish them. I remember going carol singing with lanterns, magical. I was a child from South London so the countryside was wonderful to me. I remember the tuck shop, taking turns with skates and skating down the path towards the house. I went back several years ago to see what it looked like after all those years. It looked so much smaller and the Lodge and chapel were so small!!! I didn't always feel happy there as I would have prefered to be home but due to my mums ill health we had to stay there till she was healthy enough to be discharged from hospital. :D

Return to “Schools and Colleges”