being a patient at st vincents open air school sussex

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
lynda_rann

Re: being a patient at st vincents open air school sussex

Postby lynda_rann » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:35 pm

yes we had two bed rooms in the late 60's i think, i left actual school andwent to work from there for nearly a year then i got my own place in hastings. i wished i had stayed there a lot longer, i used to go back and do my laundry for a short while then just stopped. i loved school life it was brilliant and i will always remember the good times. they allowed me to go to Lourdes when i was 14 even tho i wasnt catholic, it was very much my home. i cant believe the state of it now. i,m not able to get to hastings now, i live up near newcastle and not well enough to travel that far now. i will look on friends renited altho i hardly remember any names except christine ceponkus and katrina saunders, georgina clutterbuck was another. i did hear the school had changed to a school for girls with problems but i cant imagine there were geared for dealing with girls like that at all.

avril_pemberton

Postby avril_pemberton » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:54 am

Im not sure that it was a school for problem girls some with health problems yes but none of them had behavier problems. Sister Cathrine was still home ecomonices teacher, and I remember the umberella ride near the side gate was it there when you were there? I remember the priest died in1976 i think he had beeen there along time I believe. Can't remember who mother suppirior was tho

lynda_rann

Postby lynda_rann » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:49 pm

it started life as a convelascence school for girls with chest problems than i believe it went to a school for girls with behavoural problems. i stopped living there as a boarder in about 1973/4.
i remember the umbrella ride by the side of the tennis court and the gardeners tool shop by the steps leading to the grotto. there used to be some swings as well and apath leading down to a gate on the road leading down to the station.
sister catherine was our home economics teacher as well, with sister louise teaching english. i had left by the time the priest had died, they had the bungalow especially built for him. he was there all the time i was there over ten years. i used to stay there in the summer holidays when the novice nuns used to come down for retreat, i used to sunbathe up in the roof thru the juniors bathroom. memories !!!!

linda_hopkins

Postby linda_hopkins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:00 pm

i have just been into friends reunited,it was nice to see the school but i didnt reckognise anybody as i was there 58 to the end of 61. we had three dormatries. one for the infants which was above st knox ,one for the juniors which was above the playroom next to the chaple and the senior girls were above them.you can see by the windows how it used to be.there used to be about 20 girls in each dormitory.there was no privacy.i can remember the laundry,we were not allowed in there ,all the staff used to do the laundry on a monday.on the odd time that i did go in i saw the nuns painting white pieces of material with thck white jelly stuff and then placing them on metal sheets and hanging them in dryers.when they were dry they were like boards.they were then made into the cornets which they used to wear on their heads.i cant remember the priests name but he used to live in the house next door and the nuns used to feed him.

linda_hopkins

Postby linda_hopkins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 pm

lynda rann wrote:
it started life as a convelascence school for girls with chest problems than i believe it went to a school for girls with behavoural problems. i stopped living there as a boarder in about 1973/4.
i remember the umbrella ride by the side of the tennis court and the gardeners tool shop by the steps leading to the grotto. there used to be some swings as well and apath leading down to a gate on the road leading down to the station.
sister catherine was our home economics teacher as well, with sister louise teaching english. i had left by the time the priest had died, they had the bungalow especially built for him. he was there all the time i was there over ten years. i used to stay there in the summer holidays when the novice nuns used to come down for retreat, i used to sunbathe up in the roof thru the juniors bathroom. memories !!!!

hope everything went alright at the hospital x linda

linda_hopkins

Postby linda_hopkins » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

now the blue bells are out reminds me of when the nuns used to take us to bluebell wood and in the summer to fairlight glen which i loved ,it was so magical.in the winter just before advent we used to go to church in the woods to collect yew.sister mary then made it into a big wreath with 4 candles and red ribbon. one of us was picked each week to light a candle and then we would sing carols.can anyone remember the fire that we had one night.we all had to get out and wait on the lawn.it made the national papers and parents phoned up the nexd day worried.the dining room floor was being re surfaced and a sander machine had been left on with some rags by the plug and thats what caused the fire

MaryMc

Postby MaryMc » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:12 am

My husbands late sister was at this school, about 1960 - about 1970. Her name was Jackie Brennan (sometimes known as Johnson).
If anyone remembers her, we'd love to hear from you!

Regards Mary

Choulgate

Postby Choulgate » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:21 pm

My mother who has just passed away went to st Vincent school I'm not sure of dates but know she was definatly there in 1979 and 1980 her name was Jeanette Bradley I have a lot of her old school reports and daily diaries would love to know more about the school and maybe someone may know her.

TinaBrown

Postby TinaBrown » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Here are some photos of a set of us in probably 1959/1960....Sister Patricia.
Attachments
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG

Butterflys3

Postby Butterflys3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:04 pm

I went to St Vincent school from 1981 - 1986 . I must admit I hated it there and could not wait to leave. But I did have some fun times with friends. I heard it had been demolished. Shame I would have loved to take my children there to see it!
Julie blackwell

Return to “Schools and Colleges”