being a patient at st vincents open air school sussex

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
brenda_brownhill

Postby brenda_brownhill » Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 am

does anyone have any information or pictures they would like to share ,looking forward to hearing from you.

patvick

Re: being a patient at st vincents open air school sussex

Postby patvick » Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Is this the school in St.Vincents Road with an entrance from St.Saviours Rd. as well..so far as I know it is now a comptuter centre,adult education ?.. Try Google Maps and if you trawl through the back pages you may find other former classmates,under schools etc

brenda_brownhill

Postby brenda_brownhill » Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm

[quoted]
patvick wrote:
Is this the school in St.Vincents Road with an entrance from St.Saviours Rd. as well..so far as I know it is now a comptuter centre,adult education ?.. Try Google Maps and if you trawl through the back pages you may find other former classmates,under schools etc
[/quoted]
Yes i think it was, the SISTERS OF CHARITY, ran the Open Air School in 1954
thank you for your help, it would be nice to hear from anyone else who went to this school look forward to hearing from you

mena_monaghan

Postby mena_monaghan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:02 am

hi you said you were at st vincents can you remember which years you were there i was there myself from 1979 to 1982 or 83 if you were there then im sure we,d of known each other as everyone knew everyone .
do you remember the little statue of our lady around the back of the school thats were we would go to have a smoke(come on w all did it!!!!) and you will remember mrs broomhead the swimming teacher i really liked her.
IT would be great to find all the girls who went to st vincents we could all meet up i really should go now i could write all nite about st vincents but its getting on now it was great to read that you had gone there yourself i hope your well and that life treated you well take care from
mena monaghan

patrick

Postby patrick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Being demolished soon ?

lynda_timberlake

Postby lynda_timberlake » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:28 pm

i was a patient/pupil at st vincents open air school from 1962 to 1972, i was there when the sisters of charity used to run it with sister ita in charge of the senoirs, great place and many happy memories. i see from google its changed alot the drive has changed and the the statue at the back with the stream has gone. would love to hear from anyone about st vincents

karen_giles

Postby karen_giles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:37 pm

irember sad and happy times at st vincents. sister ita was our seniors tutor and she was very firm but kind when i left i was so sad i can't belive their knocking it down i rember doing concerts in front of the whole school and acouple of priest and we did a can can of sorts which did'nt go down to well .i was a troubled girl and they helped me ouite a bit.my love to all.karen McCerling.

sophie_mitchell

Postby sophie_mitchell » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:26 pm

[quoted]
Brenda Brownhill wrote:
does anyone have any information or pictures they would like to share ,looking forward to hearing from you.
[/quoted]

hello there im mot sure weather i have got the right info here but is this the school that was in st saviours road st leonards on-sea cause i went here if it did and just need some hel to find my shcool educational reports my name sophie mitchell i was there about 1987 till 1992 only short time any info would be great i also have a face book page if you would like to contact me from there meny thanks

deirdre_naylor

Postby deirdre_naylor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 am

Hi. I'm Deirdre. Name then was Cooke. I was at the OAS from 1959 to 1960 from the age of 5-and-a-half to seven. Staff remembered are Sister Mary, a beautiful, dark-haired nun with a lovely nature, Sister Gabriel, who was very pale and took care of the kitchen and Sister Joseph, an older lady with very dark greying hair (what we could see of it) and was very stern in the classroom. We wore white blouses, grey tunics and little red ties on elastic. We had different berets for different occasions - white for Easter etc. There was a covered walkway from the living quarters to the school rooms. The dining hall was at the end of a long corridor with windows all along one side. There was a dormitory on the top floor with a balcony / patio from where I was rescued by a fireman during a fire on my first night in the home. Lots of girls with asthma, bronchial problems and polio were my companions at the time. There was a small shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes opposite the corridor to the dining room and futher down, a tennis court in the gardens where we also played rounders. A ground floor community room with wooden lift-up, sit-on lockers all the way around and a telly at the front. Parents visited once a month on a Sunday and phoned on a monthly basis on the Sunday evening half-way between visits. The threat of withdrawal of these visits and calls was used as a means of cajoling me to eat as I was very skinny. We had pocket money and were allowed to withdraw it to go shopping before returning home at Christmas etc and for sweets on a Saturday. Remember a massive storm during which enormous crabs were hurled onto the seafront benches and broken to pieces, trees came down etc. Had First Communion and Confirmation there

sammylan

Postby sammylan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm

You might like to look at these rather sad photos

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... t=Hastings

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... t=Hastings

They were taken by "urban explorers" quite recently.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”