Getting to Claremont School other than by car

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
simon_and_laura

Getting to Claremont School other than by car

Postby simon_and_laura » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Hello All,
I want to take my son from St Leonards to Claremont school ( it's on the A21 just north of Sainsbury's) either by bus, bike or foot and avoid using the car sometimes if I can. I need to get him there by about 8.30am. The 349 bus doesn't go by until about 9am (and doesn't officially stop outside the school anyway according to the timetable) and as the road is so narrow and busy at that time of the morning, with no footpath or verge for the last 300 metres or so, that walking and cycling is out of the question by that route. Does anyone know of a footpath that goes from Baldslow via the Westfield road into the grounds of Claremont thus bypassing the busy bit? Does anyone also know if road and footpath improvements are due on that section or even whether the county council has a duty to provide safe walking and cycling access to a school? I'd really appreciate all your suggestions and ideas to help me do my bit for the environment!
Best wishes,
Simon

Marina

Re: Getting to Claremont School other than by car

Postby Marina » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Simon

As far as I know there are no back ways to get to Claremont, you are stuck with the busy A21. Offloading kids on the A21 (and possibly holding up traffic at the same time) is not really the best idea with the school access as it is, but I should imagine the bus company would provide a service (and somewhere for buses to stop) if it was practical. The pupils come mainly from the villages so filling buses would be difficult to say the least.

I shouldn't think the council has any obligation to provide access via foot as Claremont is a privately owned school, not council. Footpaths would make the road even thinner at that point so not an option. The land to the side is surely owned by Claremont so prehaps their responsibility to provide access for those not driving their kids to school.

I would contact the school and ask the question. Keep us informed of how you get on but it looks like everything's against you doing your bit for the environment. Typical eh?

simon_and_laura

Re: Getting to Claremont School other than by car

Postby simon_and_laura » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello Marina and thanks very much for the reply. I'm planning to approach the school soon as you suggest and am now gathering some more background information. I've also had a helpful response from Sustrans http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ who are currently running a national campaign to encourage children to walk and cycle to school. I'll keep plugging away and let you know via this forum how I get on!
Best wishes,
Simon

Return to “Schools and Colleges”