st vincents open air school st savours rd

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
mena_monaghan

Postby mena_monaghan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:21 am

hi everyone at 1066 i went to this all girls school in 1979 untill 1982 or 83 im not to sure ,the school was run by the sisters of charity they wore navey blue habbits i remember the swimming teacher there very well her name was mrs broomhead she was so nice to me,i had a lot of problems as a young girl and
mrs broomhead and a sister called sister bridget and a house parent named louise gave me alot of support.
A few years ago i looked for st vincents to see if there were staff or anyone there i might of known but it was turned into a collage it still looked the same as it did i wanted to go in just to have a little look about but i didnt
i remember sum of the girls who i was friends with tresea cahill,maria duncun i no lots of first named girls but tresea and maria are the ones i no there whole names so if anyone from st vincents from 1979-1982 nos any of the girls or myself who went there it would be great to hear from you maybe sister bridget will remember me or mrs broomhead would i think .
well if the person reading this has never been to hastings you should go its a lovely town and st lenords on sea thats where st vincents is just before you get into hastings hastings old town st vincents is worth lookin at as its
gorgous builings and gardens
.thanx for lisening xxx
mena monaghan email address at podgekiss@yahoo.co.uk

patrick

Re: st vincents open air school st savours rd

Postby patrick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:00 pm

To be demolished soon_ _ _

kathy_green

Postby kathy_green » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 pm

[quoted]
mena monaghan wrote:
hi everyone at 1066 i went to this all girls school in 1979 untill 1982 or 83 im not to sure ,the school was run by the sisters of charity they wore navey blue habbits i remember the swimming teacher there very well her name was mrs broomhead she was so nice to me,i had a lot of problems as a young girl and
mrs broomhead and a sister called sister bridget and a house parent named louise gave me alot of support.
A few years ago i looked for st vincents to see if there were staff or anyone there i might of known but it was turned into a collage it still looked the same as it did i wanted to go in just to have a little look about but i didnt
i remember sum of the girls who i was friends with tresea cahill,maria duncun i no lots of first named girls but tresea and maria are the ones i no there whole names so if anyone from st vincents from 1979-1982 nos any of the girls or myself who went there it would be great to hear from you maybe sister bridget will remember me or mrs broomhead would i think .
well if the person reading this has never been to hastings you should go its a lovely town and st lenords on sea thats where st vincents is just before you get into hastings hastings old town st vincents is worth lookin at as its
.thanx for lisening xxx
[/quoted]
Hi
I went to St Saviours Open air school in about 1956 for two years, it was a school where the local autjhorities could send kids with asthmatic conditions. I remember it was run by nuns and loved it there even tho it was only a couple of years. The nuns wore big hats and grey habits and were lovely.
I went back there last year and the building looked exactly the same. The lovely caretaker and his wife showed me around. Sadly they said it was to be demolished this year :--(( Happy memories. Would like to hear of anyone who went there in those days. I remember particularly Sister Michael and Sister Louise, and the shrine to St Bernadette in the garden! I'm not a practising catholic but those were definitely happy days.

paula_maguire

Postby paula_maguire » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

[quoted]
patrick wrote:
[/quoted]

hi i was a pupil at this school in 1983-1989 do you know if there was truth in the rumour that the main part of the building was once the home of the station master and that there was an underground tunnel between the school and the train station.would love to know if this was true or not as it always reminded us of smugglers etc.
many thanks paula maguire or paula miller as was known then.

paula_maguire

Postby paula_maguire » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

[quoted]
mena monaghan wrote:
.thanx for lisening xxx
[/quoted]

i was a pupil of the school between 1983-1989.my name then was paula miller.i remember mrs broomhead or broomie as she was known to me with great affection and sister bridget,sister elizabeth,miss meyer later mrs lambert, mrs smith the cookery teacher.would you have remembered jane bedford? i went to school with her sister sandra bedford later on.it is so sad to see the place now all run down and in ruins as it holds a special place in my heart and memories and always will.
paula maguire formally known as paula miller.

lynda_timberlake

Postby lynda_timberlake » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm

[quoted]
patrick wrote:
[/quoted]

that would be a shame cos its a lovely building and i spent many hours sunbathing on the flat roof tops where the turrest were. it was a school for girls with respiratory problems

rita_swaine

Postby rita_swaine » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Hello to everyone. I was at St Vincents from 1953 to August 1955. I suffered from Asthma. My name then was Rita Corcoran and I lived in Huddersfield. I remember Sister Louise, Sister Angela, Sister Philomena and of course Sister Clare the mother superior. I will be paying a visit to Eastbourne in February 2011 and hope to visit St Leonards and will go to St Saviours Road to have a look around. If there is anyone who was there at the same time as I was, I would be really delighted to hear from them, especially Ellen Newman who lived in Fulham

lizzy_jolink

Postby lizzy_jolink » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 am

I was there from 1979 to 1985, im devastated to hear the school is about to ripped down! The pictures I have seen of the state of the interior of the building brought me to tears. I have so many wonderful memories of the teachers and pupils. Mena I remember you very well, I believe we called you Philly back then! Alot of us are on facebook, and discussing the demise of the building_ _ _.. surely there is a way to save her!

lizzy_jolink

Postby lizzy_jolink » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 am

I too attended the school from 79 to 85_ _ _ im devastated to hear they making it into flats the building should be listed! :(

lynda_rann

Postby lynda_rann » Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am

does anyone know if the building is to be turned into flats or to be demolished? i was a pupil there from 1963 to 1973 and loved it.

Return to “Schools and Colleges”