Convent Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Leonards

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
alex_byron

Convent Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Leonards

Postby alex_byron » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but noticed the wealth of knowledge published on it and decided to see if anyone can help me find some info about my Great Grandmother.

I found a 1911 census (attached) showing a Rose (Noreen) Baker attending what seemed to be a Sisters of Mercy School at 28 West Hill, St Leonards.

I subsequently contacted the Sisters of Mercy and found out they didn't have a school in that period at that address. The lady implied that the census is quite liberal with the name "Sister of Mercy" and suggested that it could be a convent.

I have scoured the internet to try and find a convent or similar at that address but have come to dead end!

I was hoping if anyone had any information about this school at this particular address and if so, forward me to a records center?

Thanks in advance

Alex

[img://www.hastingsforum.co.uk/forums/sf_attachments/Rose_Baker.jpg]

Gerry Glyde

Re: Convalescent Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Le

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi Alex
Just a few thoughts on the 1911 entry. All the children were born in London as were the Head Amy Christine and the Lay Novice. Amy Christine stated that she was a Novice (ie a trainee who was not a full member of an Order), which suggests that perhaps this was an offshoot of another institution that may have been based in London. Was this a temporary location? The children were said to be pupils in school and not patients; why do you describe it as a convalescent home?

There may be a Kelly's Directory or similar for Hastings for that period. If you are not local to Hastings, the Library may be able to look it up for you and that may give you a lead as to the organisation. If you go back to the Sisters of Mercy and give them the name of the Novice they may be able to trace her.

Hope this helps.

alex_byron

Re: Convalescent Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Le

Postby alex_byron » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the reply.

You are probably correct in the fact that it is not a convalescent home and I will try to change the title if I can.

I did notice they were all from London however I could not find a matching organisation there due there being so many.

I will try the archivist for the sisters of mercy again with your idea.

In terms of the "Kelly's Directory" I suspect that will yield better results and I will contact the Hastings library. Would that be the best library to contact for St Leonards?

Thanks for all the help

Alex

Gerry Glyde

Re: Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Leonards

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Alex
The Hastings Library at Claremont covers both areas. In addition to Kelly's they may also have Pikes which also lists addresses and businesses; they may also come up with some other suggestions for you.

There is no need to change the title of the post, my comment was only an enquiry about what else you may have discovered which may give more clues or lead to other sources.

Gerry Glyde

Re: Convent Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Leonard

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am

I have come across a reference to a "convalescent home for poor children" in St Leonards. There is reference to an article in the Hastings Observer for July 5 1882 when it was moved to a new site and re-opened by Princess Alexandra. It may be a different institution as this one was originally started by a Mrs Newman. It may be worth asking the library to check if the address is the same even though there is 30 years difference in the dates.

alex_byron

Re: Convent Home For Poor Children, 28 West Hill, St Leonard

Postby alex_byron » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Good idea Garry. Ill email the library today and see what they can come up with.

Ill post the results here.

This is all for my Granddad who didn't know much about his mother (as seems to be quite common amongst people of his era). I'm just hoping and can get some info for him before its too late!

Thanks again

Alex

Return to “Schools and Colleges”