Kings College St.Leonards

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
NickiB

Kings College St.Leonards

Postby NickiB » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:28 am

Hello, I'm new to this site and have found many wonderful things while doing my search! I wonder if anyone out there can help me? My father in law was sent to Kings College? St.leonards in the early 1950's and has been trying to find out more info. I have been looking for said college with no luck. He is now 73 and really wants to retrace his past. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Gerry Glyde

Re: Kings College St.Leonards

Postby Gerry Glyde » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 pm

HI NickiB

I had not heard of the school but have found a few things in the local press - mostly adverts but have found sports day reports.

If you send me your email by Private Message ((Click on my name in this message and it should take you to a PM) then I will send you some documents. If you provide your father in law's name I will do a quick scan of entries and see if he is mentioned.

It was a private prep and grammar school whose head in the early 1950s was a Lt.Colonel. Lots of standing to attention and discipline I expect.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:04 am

Hello NickiB

I was once a pupil at Colonel Kings College in 1952. As far as I can remember the college was situated somewhere on the corner of The Green and Hollington Park Road.
Sorry I can’t be more precise as I was only 4 years old at the time and only attended there for about one year.
I do remember the morning assemblies singing hymns with the whole school, I also remember the daily ritual every morning of all pupils practicing marching around the grounds military style with a wooden rifle on the shoulder, this was before the classes started. As for the teachers I can’t remember any names, but I do know they were very strict. The person I remember most was the cook, she was very nice to me and always gave me sweets when she saw me.

NickiB

Postby NickiB » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Hello Gerry, that sounds about right, I have just spoken to my Father in law and he remembers some of what you have said. His name is Sid Burgoyne and he lived in George Street Hasting and caught the bus there every day. He remembers having a friends who lived in the small flats opposite George Street but unfortunately can not remember his name! I am unable to pm you for some reason.
Many thanks for the info.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi Nicki. Just a quick word on the PMs. The forum has a three post limit before you are able to do that. It's just to protect everyone from spammers. Basically admin has to approve your first three posts - after that you are free to post messages without approval and contact whoever you like via PM.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:22 pm

From Friends Reunited:

Principal, Colonel Wallace H. King

The following photo dated 1950:
Attachments
kings-college St leonards 1950.jpg

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Genes Reunited have the following:

Hastings and St Leonards Observer East Sussex, England
21 Feb 1942
NON-SCHOOL BATTERY

NON-SCHOOL BATTERY A second (non-school) battery Is being formed to King’s College Cadet Corps, affiliated'to.the BA. and the Home Guard, and under the command of Leut.-Colonel Wallace H. King. King’s College Cadet Corps Is the oldest surviving cadet corps...

You have to pay to read more unfortunately.

http://www.genesreunited.com.au/searchb ... %20england

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks for the photograph Richard,
Although dated a couple of years before my time, I do believe I spot my elder brother in the shot.

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Geoff thanks for info on PMs.

Hi NickiB
Some things attached that you may find interesting for your father in law. I will look for some other things now that I have his name.
Attachments
Kings 3..JPG
Kings.2.JPG
Kings.1.JPG

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:14 pm

The sports article is in three pieces.

The Head's letter to the Observer shows an abhorrence of casualness of the young people at the parade. You may imagine what he will have expected of his pupils. A few raps of the knuckles with a ruler or may be a good strong slipper on the backside for any boys looking unkempt in school!

There are two short paragraphs about a youth military camp in 1951 and 1952 that were attended by a group of boys, commanded by the Head. There are two very poor photos.

The Hollington Park Road site had been sold by 1954, after which there are no further references to the school, unless of course those papers are not on the site I use.
Attachments
Kings4..JPG
Kings.6.JPG
Kings5.JPG

Return to “Schools and Colleges”