Grammar School Football (Scratch Sixes)

Questions on schools and colleges, past and present
stevmag

Grammar School Football (Scratch Sixes)

Postby stevmag » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:31 pm

Way back when, a long time ago, they used to run a football competition at the old Grammar School. It was 6 a side and was known as 'scratch sixes' . Knockout competition, and from what I can remember, it was 3 points for a corner and 1 point for a goal. I would assume this is no longer so, was just wondering when it stopped. Was it when they moved school or when it was no longer a Grammar School.

Allen

Re: Grammar School Football (Scratch Sixes)

Postby Allen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:13 pm

They were definitely still going at the 'new' school in Parkstone Road, at least until 1972. I think the scoring method had changed because I only remember credit for goals scored.

It was an interesting way of choosing teams. Boys were graded according to ability from 1 to 6, with 1 being the top players and 6 being the absolute rabbits. There was a random draw from each pot to make up a side. I think I was a no. 3 - I certainly never won it.

stevmag

Postby stevmag » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:04 pm

I forgot about the player grading. I will admit I never got any higher than 5. I,m sure we had to pay to enter and I think the winning team was rewarded with the money. I know (least I think I do) that it was definitely 3 points for a corner and 1 for a goal.
Thanks
Steve

Crun

Postby Crun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

stevmag and Allen certainly reflect my memories of scratch sixes in the 1950s. We paid sixpence to sign on as I recall and the pot was shared by the victorious six from the knockout competition. Each game was quite short and all games were watched by the other members of the school from the banks on one side of the "pitch". The surface was asphalt or something like it, so sliding tackles and diving headers were rarely performed more than once by those rash enough to try them. The "pitch" was seriously shortened when portable classes were added at one end. I do not remember how well we adapted to that change.
I was a number 6 once and then a number 5. I did not join in later in my stay at HGS, but did eventually make it to Second XI colours. Other than that, I have happy memories of crab football in the old gym there.

stevmag

Postby stevmag » Tue May 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Just another thought. Have I dreamt it or do I remember that the 'playground' was called the 'Flat'. If not it was called something different from merely being the playground.
Steve

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 pm

At the 'new' school there were two areas called the upper and lower flat, so I would think this term was carried over from the 'old' school. You are correct and not dreaming.

hornet74

Postby hornet74 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Pretty sure Steve is right that the playground at the old School was called The Flat. But, contrary to another contributor's recollection, I'm convinced the scoring was three points for a goal and one for a corner -- the other way round would have made no sense at all!

Anyone else with memories of 1956-61? I have enjoyed some success in my life, but I consider that it was little thanks to Hastings Grammar. If you were in the "C" stream you felt you were written off as no-hopers from the start. And, coming from Hollington council estate, my parents never felt confident enough to ever set foot on the premises.

Chris Jones

Damian

Postby Damian » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:10 am

I was interested to see the references to the ‘Scratch Sixes’ in earlier posts. I attended the Grammar School 1959-61 and well remember this competition. I seem to remember that we all paid in for the entry and the winners received a prize — chocolates(?) All the players were graded 1- 6 and absentees could only be replaced by players of the same or lower rank. The No.1s were members of the School XIs. I was a number 5 in ‘60 or ‘61. We won the competition and a selection from the two finalists were chosen to play the staff. I was lucky enough to be chosen for this final team. My, what a game! Of course we lost, the tactics of our opponents often falling short of expected standards of fair play! I nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed the match and it was an interesting footnote to realise that we had more spectators for this game than formed the regular ‘crowd’ at Hastings United!

Return to “Schools and Colleges”