African Night 5th October

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
cerberus

Re: African Night 5th October

Postby cerberus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:07 am

Richard wrote:I feel sorry for people affected by the killing tribes of Africa but unfortunately magic, superstition and witchcraft seem to rule the roost and of course politics and tribal chief warfare will manipulate local fears and beliefs which are totally beyond our control.

Indeed. In this 21st century, who could possibly believe in witchdoctors, and the mindlessly ritualistic using of blunted razor blades without any anaesthetic to mutilate the genitalia of baby girls? Only in Africa! It's as primitive and perverse as mutilating without anaesthetic the genitalia of baby boys. Only in the Middle East and Europe. Ah well - that's 'religion' for ya! 'Suffer, little children, to come unto me.'??

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 am

While the government says primary school is free, in the DRC, children whose parents can’t afford to pay bonus fees to teachers on low government funded salaries are prevented from attending classes.
Girls seem to suffer especially and military conflict means they are targeted for sex and slavery on the pretext of magical abilities.

cerberus

Postby cerberus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 am

Richard wrote:We don't always appreciate the sheer magic of being able to turn a tap on or flush the loo.
Water is not 'on tap' in most African countries and small projects can make a big difference in educating about the dangers of contaminated water, potentially carrying many diseases, plus of course actually sourcing the water and distributing it according to needs and availability.
Simple facts about not allowing human waste to contaminate fresh water supplies and how to make other water safe that may carry larvae of mosquito's or snails - Malaria and river blindness?
Early human habitations were often built next to water sources, rivers would often serve as a crude form of natural sewage disposal.
However, human waste has also been used as irrigation and fertilizer of agricultural crops through history. That is fairly safe, despite sounding horrible but as long as people know what is possible and never to contaminate fresh drinking water with human waste we are on safer ground.

I can see the value in small projects of this nature but Lord seahermit possibly and myself to some greater extent probably, are a little cynical/weary of hearing how much of the large-scale aid given to African countries, however well-intentioned, often fails, owing to corrupt leaders or lack of foresight in planning. (Band-Aid Geldof and tractors to Africa that ran out of supplies or nobody knew how to repair).

Water For Kids sounds to be a good one to support as it is small scale, there are people on the ground to educate and a little aid can go a long way.
I will contribute to this charity if seahermit does likewise - that's my offer :D

I think that the next global pandemic will originate in Africa. Actually I thought it was going to be Ebola, like it was Spanish 'flu in 1918. But then even now, it isn't too late for either of them? Something needs to keep down the population explosion, and if it isn't world war then it will have to be a plague. For instance, what would the planet's population be now had it not been for two world wars? Hold that thought?
Last edited by cerberus on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

cerberus

Postby cerberus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:15 am

Richard wrote:We don't always appreciate the sheer magic of being able to turn a tap on or flush the loo.
Water is not 'on tap' in most African countries et seq

Nor indeed in India. I watched a BBC documentary about 3 years ago about a project to install proper toilets in a part of India, but after they were up and running, the locals still preferred to defecate out and about. 'The Human Condition' eh - whaddya do? :roll:

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:06 pm

It is not truly the human condition or the native tendency when military conflict causes issues.
Witness the issues re- DRC and in the case of Palestinians being deprived of water and food and medicines and having houses built in their territories.
You can't simply blame the human condition.

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”