At last - Wetherspoons

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
seahermit

Re: At last - Wetherspoons

Postby seahermit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Interesting that some of my friends seem to share the view that the Wetherspoon pub has lost its atmosphere - all spaced out, not that friendly and service is rather dire.

Some have switched to Yates - admittedly not rushed with customers but very clean and organised, friendly staff serve you straightaway.

I also tried the Nags Head in Gensing Road. Great! Splendid, smart decor and friendly, polite staff, really nice place to go for a quiet drink with a friend - or to sit in a corner and finish the crossword.

The Horse and Groom in Mercatoria should have a mention of course - it's an interesting old building, the oldest pub in St Leonard's, and comfortable. But it's an odd pub - the landlord has to like your face! And very cliquey, so not at all everyone's favourite.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people have simply stopped going out so much, got out of the habit. So, the pubs are having to try harder to keep going and some have not reopened.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:05 pm

Wetherspoons Hastings is in a tight space, it has no ambience, just somewhere to eat and drink cheap stuff.
Wetherspoons Bexhill is spacious and has a more relaxed feel to it.
The staff seem to be switched on.

I don't feel you should go into a pub where you have to worry about the landlord/management.
What would be the point.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:01 am

Wetherspoons in Hastings indeed has no ambience! Just a cheap food and drink factory. The Bexhill one is a little better and more comfortable.

I could say much more on the other issue but of course one has to tread carefully. Even so, (generally speaking you understand ..), I shouldn't have to worry about keeping my head down in any pubs where the landlord for some reason of his own tries to pick a quarrel with me - the idea is nonsense, so I simply go to more normal places. (Only ever had a problem like this in a town like Hastings/St Leonards!).

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:20 pm

The pub scene is strange, not as it used to be. As I said, Wetherspoons in Hastings doesn't really have much atmosphere and the tables are so spaced out that it seems half-empty and unfriendly. Yates seems to be struggling to attract many customers. I think a lot of people have simply got out of the habit of going out for a drink - pubs will have to work harder to get them back in. Also, pubs are reporting difficulty getting staff back - they had to find other jobs.

The small bar opposite Morrisons has changed hands several times, was for a while quite a cosy cafe/bar for taking a break but currently being refurbished again - bad timing, when hospitality is supposed to be opening up!

In Warrior Square, a lot of money was spent poshing up the Royal and it looked nice inside - now closed again. Maybe the money ran out.

I glanced into the Olde England in London Road - very shabby on the outside and frankly a dubious place to take your Auntie Flo into!

A small bar on the Marina has survived - the "Twisted Bunny"! Not at all sure about that name but the place is really nice, attractive, cosy decor and very friendly. Sitting outside on a Sunday evening and watching the sea is a treat.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:05 pm

There are lots of appalling pubs and food places in Hastings.
They get away with it because many locals are downbeat, have had a hard life and do not have the confidence to challenge poor quality/service.
They just want cheap stuff regardless.
The men do not care about their appearance.
The women are often super-bossy, like dinner-ladies.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 pm

No, I don't think there is any evidence that many food outlets in Hastings are "appalling" - a strong word. It's like anywhere else - the usual mediocre cafes/restaurants of course, but often those places don't do well or don't last very long. In contrast, several restaurants on the seafront at St Leonard's are excellent and, even though somewhat expensive, are popular and always full.

Are Hastings people downbeat and afraid to challenge poor quality/service? Are you talking about Hastings UK or do you you mean the one in South Africa? (I think there's one in the USA too!). I would say it's the opposite - here in this Hastings, people are pretty open about their opinions, even vociferous, and often difficult to please.

I have taken back meals which were half-cold or meagre on proportions and I know several people willing to do the same if necessary. I don't think Hastings people are cowed and submissive!

Hard lives - aren't everyone's lives a bit more difficult post-Covid? What is different about Hastings people? Well, problems brought on by drink and drugs maybe, but most of those problems are self-created and therefore difficult to deal with. Otherwise, Hastings is a somewhat poor town indeed but there are plenty of others across the UK.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:00 pm

seahermit before you have a flight of fancy we are talking strictly about Hastings U.K.
It is not like anywhere else.
I don't know what restaurants on the seafront at St Leonards are 'excellent' popular and expensive, would you care to elaborate in some detail or even any detail?

I mentioned the sandwich/snack outlet known as Greggs in Hastings, the food is dire with meagre fillings.
You admit Wetherspoons is not good.
Some pubs have a landlord with attitude problems.

People want cheap food and the numerous fast food outlets are to blame for obesity.
In similar respect Hastings is like any other town or village up and down the country, I can agree with that.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:49 am

I do agree that in Hastings centre it is quite difficult to find really good quality food outlets. An exception might be the White Rock Hotel - I had a beautiful roast-duck meal there, in spotless surroundings. In the Old Town of course there are several really nice restaurants, one of my favourites has always been Porter's.

The Bella Vista on St Leonard's seafront is always heavily subscribed - usually a good sign and it has a good reputation. The St Clements in Mercatoria likewise (not on the seafront!), also I myself can recommend Graze and Kassa (Iranian place next door).

It is true that in Hastings numerous food outlets are really catering for people in a hurry - quick, convenient snacks etc. I usually avoid them all! Wetherspoons is passable for cheap meals but it seems to have lost any atmosphere.

I hadn't thought about it until your comments - now I realise that for long I have been avoiding the "dire" snacks from many town-centre outlets, preferring to go hungry until I get home! There are simply very few places to enjoy a break and get quality food.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:25 pm

I sort of like 'Kassa', a good sea front location.
But they want to grab your money before you receive the food.
Don't they trust their customers to pay?

The White Rock Hotel has a relaxed hotel atmosphere.
Again they want money first.
Never visited 'Bell Vista', 'The St. Clements' or 'Graze'.

'Porters' in the old town only require retention of a payment 'card' at busy weekend times.
Otherwise you can pay afterwards.

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”