Good News for Hastings

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Richard

Good News for Hastings

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Hastings is now set to receive a £500,000 grant from the from the Coastal Communities Fund (CCF) to help rejuvenate the seafront.
The money will be used to improve attractions and amenities, including bikes to hire, improved signage, information walks and trails and landscaping, and could bring new jobs to the town.
The redevelopment of the Pier is well under way, from a lottery grant of 1.2 million pounds, White Rock Baths will re-open this year as a BMX centre and refurbishing Bottle Alley is ear-marked for £160,000 of funding, raised separately by the local council.

Also next year is a rather famous anniversary - 950 years since 1066 - so expect even more in the way of events and celebrations to mark that date.
:)

Gerry Glyde

Re: Good News for Hastings

Postby Gerry Glyde » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Wow half a century has passed since Priory Road school put on a play of the conquest story for the 900th anniversary, written by the English teacher Mr Terrill. I played both a Saxon and a Norman peasant racing around the back of the stage change of costume and on the other side in a couple of minutes. Pete Burgess (Budgie) gave me the nickname of saxon after that. Although the play was put on in the school hall (the gym) It was also put on at the White Rock Pavilion as a public event.

Around the same time an organisation had an archaeological dig on the Ladies Parlour leading to the mound. Had just finished exams and had nothing to do till the end of term so I volunteered which was a great experience. Hands and knees with trowels and brushes but have never had the opportunity since

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”