BANG !!*#!!**

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Richard

Re: BANG !!*#!!**

Postby Richard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Stellar photo's MJ
I like the black images of the feather-hatted people, you must have really felt the heat from the bonfire.
The firework pictures are wonderful too!!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks, that's nice. I used a long lens but it was still a complicated bit of photography!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:07 pm

MJ, which camera and lens did you use?

I very much regret selling my Canon EOS 650, some years back.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:02 pm

A year ago I bought a Nikon D3200 kit - entry-level DSLR with a standard 50mm lens plus a 200mm zoom lens. Very complex camera even so, but (phew!) worth the struggle to master it, I'm doing things I've never achieved before.

For the bonfire etc. I used the zoom - not as easy as it sounds! It exaggerates camera-shake and lighting was tricky.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Yes, I remember we discussed previously the typical choice between Nikon and Canon offerings.
I think the 'Sony' (Alpha a58) has some advantages in the single lens translucent, (unlike optical), using a digital viewfinder, so not strictly SLR but offering a 'live view' which means a much faster auto-focussing.
Anyway I am still looking and waiting...

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:30 pm

I checked out the Sony Alpha a58. Interesting .. because of the different technology autofocusing is faster in Lìve View, which would have advantages for some people.

However, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a snob here! I feel that you can't go much wrong with a Canon or Nikon and the reviews of their DSLRs are usually outstanding.

My D3200 is very comfortable to hold and use, the handbook excellent for a beginner and I'm getting some very good quality images in tricky light situations - e.g. in the low light of the JD Bar last night listening to the jazz band!

I don't use Live View much - autofocussing and taking the shot are much slower, also I can get much steadier control of the camera by holding it firmly against my face and leaning up again at a wall etc.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Being comfortable in the hand is very important and for that reason I may just go for the discontinued (it's about 4 years old) Sony Alpha 33, which, because of its age can be had quite cheaply now.
Or perhaps have one as second camera?
Agree Canon and Nikon are the main contenders - for those of us who can't afford a Leica.
:)

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:03 am

This all going a bit off topic! But I'll just finish by adding that I've had some very enjoyable evenings lately at the Ore and St Helens Camera Club - on 3rd November there is a special workshop on indoor/still photograhy. If anyone's interested, I could post (elsewhere) details and time.

Richard, if you are thinking of getting back into it, think about rolling along to the club. Guests are free .. for a couple of visits!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks MJ - I'll bear it mind - must get out more!!

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”