JAZZ! On Thursday nights at the JD Bar

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: performing from memory alone, many musicians (and conductors) learn the whole piece by heart. To watch Daniel Barenboim playing a whole Beethoven piano concerto, in some kind of trance with his eyes shut much of the time, is the purest form of magic.

Richard

Re: JAZZ! On Thursday nights at the JD Bar

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:01 pm

I think you have hit the nail on the head, moonjiver, so much is derivative that it is hard to claim total and 100% originality.
We are all influenced by what is already around us and some people are good at exploiting the situation, not that they don't have to work hard and suffer many failures along the way.
In fact failure is the most important part of the equation, that and being prolific and persistent to the extent that something eventually works out of all the many failed attempts.

Tony_MacDonnell

Postby Tony_MacDonnell » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 am

Hi. Yes I found it strange that my post did not appear in the thread for so long. A quick remark - I thinks there is nothing "original" in music and everthing new is evolutionary. Composers and musicians develop as a sum total of their influences in what they have heard, played and studied and n their taste, The roots of great "original" music are not always immediately apparent but they are there. Go back to the "birth" of jazz which has roots in African and European music but was perceived as "new" at the time.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks Tony, you have eased my mind! My smartphone is quite good but slow (I will probably have to upgrade to something more powerful) and I thought it was being sluggish again at updating itself.

No, nothing is really new and that applies also to writing. Some say that there are only a few real storylines - we just retell them in different ways and with original twists and modifications!

Each artist, writer or musician merely carries the torch on a bit further, adapting themes to his time, the culture he lives in and his individual personality.

With stories, the trick is to be conscious of the great debt you owe to those who have gone before you, but then introduce some innovations and original treatments of your own so that the whole thing appears to some degree original and new. It's a sleight of hand and and a conjuring trick - when I can achieve that, my writing will sell a million!

Tony_MacDonnell

Postby Tony_MacDonnell » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:49 pm

That's it! What I was trying to say but you have expressed it so much better than I.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks Tony, tbat's nice.

For me, art in whatever form is what's really important in life. Cameron, and even more Corbyn, along with the price of butter and the weather will become foonotes in history. But who's ever going to forget Ellington, Picasso or Graham Greene?

Tony_MacDonnell

Postby Tony_MacDonnell » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:20 am

So we shall see you on Thursday then!!??

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I laughed at that. Nobody actually SAID anything but little things here and on FB suggested that my absence had been noted! I can't love you all the time .. the band has to find its own way sometimes without me being around ..

Yes, I need my fix of the jazz again. And not been blasted by a good trumpet player for a long time.

I have (how do I say this?) been scribbling something about the band! It's difficult to write something which doesn't come out corny, because it's all been done before and I screwed up the first attempt. Anyway I have a few lines which have turned out better, so with great embarrassment I'll show them to a couple of friends. Maybe it will see the light of day after that! You see the effect you all have on me with your stirring music ..?!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Some very good evenings at the JD Bar recently, the Jazz Organisation band led by Pete Burden. With Bob Turner guesting on trumpet and then last Thursday Ian Dodd on trombone.

Here are two or three shots to give the flavour ..
Attachments
JAZZ ORG IAN DODD.jpg
JAZZ ORG TONY M 3.jpg
JAZZ ORG BOB TURNER.jpg

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:36 pm

This is the gen on next Thursday's session - another soloist and sure to be a very enjoyable evening on a grey December night. It starts at 9pm - get your diary out!
Attachments
JAZZ AT JD BAR.jpg

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”