8 weeks and counting down

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Derek Jempson

Re: 8 weeks and counting down

Postby Derek Jempson » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:08 am

Here we go!
Pier.jpg

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:11 pm

A perspective of Hastings and St Leonards we haven't been able to admire for some years. Welcome back Hastings Pier, I for one am feeling quite positive about the future now ;)
Pier-St-Leonards-27-03-2016.jpg

Pier-Hastings-27-03-2016.jpg

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:46 pm

I visited this afternoon and as soon as my wife and I stepped foot upon the boards, the rain fell! Undaunted, we continued our exploration and I have to say it was a real thrill to be walking out there for the first time in so many years. I see it as a platform (literally!) for future development. Very little is fixed at the moment, and with careful and considerate planning, I am sure that the pier will be a huge asset for the town - it already is. When The Deck is open in a few days, it will be even more interesting.

Pier 3.jpg

Pier 1.jpg

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:28 pm

A quality development and a definite asset for Hastings.
The top of the 'Visitor Centre' (accessible by lift for the disabled) is sheltered by a glass panel surround which, in the sun, is quite warm even at this time of year (there was some sun when I was there) and rather pleasant to louge about on.
The main deck out to sea is uncluttered presently but this may change later on, it is like the deck of a large Cruise Ship.
Thankfully there are no major gaps in the floor planking showing the sea beneath rolling about, which i dislike intensely on other Piers.
Plenty of brisk business at eateries in the former 'Pitti palace' but the black wooden huts seem very small and uninteresting however most are not open yet.

All In all an impressive turnaround for Hastings and when the weather improves things can only get better.
I hope there will be some sort of life-saving boat or attendance of dedicated swimmers on hand in case hapless youths get the urge to swim out or drop off the rails.
I saw no visible evidence of water-saving rescue equipment such as life buoy rings in place!! :shock:

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:02 pm

The opening was mentioned on the 5pm News on R4 this afternoon

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 pm

It is a breath of fresh air, a shot in the arm and a welcome addition, which is both unique and beautiful in a way which will certainly restore the pride of local residents.
Now the stage is set for the celebrations, later this year, in the 950th anniversary of the famous Battle of Hastings.
More publicity for Hastings and its incredibly rich history, more visitors, more regeneration, the party is just beginning!
:D

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Gerry, the last picture on your link is strangely reminiscent of the deck of an aircraft-carrier
:)

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:47 pm

May be it could be used as a small replacement for the Pebsham Aerodrome closed in 1930 for a helicopter pad!

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Now, there's a thought. Helicopter rides from the end of the pier. That would make some money!

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”