The Jerwood

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Richard

The Jerwood

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm

I enjoy making all manner of things, in a variety of materials, and have painted on canvas, stretched on hand-made frames, sized with materials appropriate to acrylic or traditional oil paints, worked in glass, metal, wood, ceramics and made moulds for numerous designs just because I enjoy the process.
Yet, despite visiting many free galleries in London, I have never been to this Gallery of Art.
It is free only between 4-8pm on the first tuesday of every month.
But I am still not inclined to visit, why oh why does it have to be so restrictive and appear elitist.
It seems too sterile and the preserve of those who can appreciate the work of others and can discuss the merits of x, y or z but are too 'intellectual' to do anything themselves.
Am I missing something, are really great artists on show, or even local talents being encouraged and displayed as they struggle to make a name for themselves?
Do the curators or staff working there have hands-on experience of the 'nitty gritty' of creating anything lossely termed 'art'?

What's it all about anyway?

moonjiver

Re: The Jerwood

Postby moonjiver » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:52 pm

I have only been inside the Jerwood once, for precisely the same reasons. It doesn't seem at all welcoming to local people and does not represent the creativity which goes on locally.

For similar reasons I have given up with Hastings Arts Forum and left. I like artists, admire their work and find it fascinating. But the HAF is very cliquey and snobby, there are virtually no proper social events to ever get to talk to artists or other members about what they do, and the age range is mainly over 70! It is also run chaotically, in a whole year they couldn't register my membership properly so as to allow me to use the members' website. Grrr!

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”