Jazz

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Richard

Jazz

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Well, fairly local.
The Jazz festival in Rye next week:

http://www.visitryebay.com/culture/rye-jazz-festival/

seahermit

Re: Jazz

Postby seahermit » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 am

I love jazz and Rye is a very enjoyable place to be, but a bit tricky to get back from late evenings, if you don't have a car. You need to watch the times of the infrequent buses and the trains likewise - I am not even sure there ARE any trains back from Rye late at night.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:13 am

The Rye to Hastings trains are only one per hour later on:

Latest Friday/Sat 23/24 August = 23:47 pm
Latest Sunday 25 August = 22:56 pm

If you miss the last train then you are stuck in Rye until 7 or 8 am next day
:shock:

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for that. A last train leaving at 11.47pm may not seem too bad, but often music gigs do not start until 8 or 9pm and go on until midnight. And you have to allow time for getting from gig to station.

The last train back on Sunday at 10.56pm makes it even tighter and a bit too risky to be worthwhile. Events during daytime are ok of course.

number9

Postby number9 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 pm

Rye Jazz festival is back this year 27th & 29th August but I don't know whats happening about
social distancing.

Also for the Rye Jazz Festival you have the wonderful Macy Grey & support appearing at
Bexhill De La Warr on Sunday 20th June but tickets might be expensive for those on low
incomes £37 & £48.

De La Warr has a good choice of different music artists and it's worth taking a look at the different types of acts that are coming.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:38 am

Events at the De La Warr are very expensive, up to London prices, and I simply would not pay that just for an evening's music. Ronnie Scott's or the 100 Club might be notable exceptions!

Actually, when I was in London, there was good music everywhere (a lot of it free) and I don't remember ever paying exorbitant prices - even seeing Ken Colyer at the 100 Club (that evening was like being in musical heaven) cost me about the same as the train fares! Prices went up at the most popular times of course ..

number9

Postby number9 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:31 pm

Yes I agree that some of the events are expensive but you could make an argument that to go to London, parking is expensive and you have to know the best place to park your car without paying too much per hour + about 3 hours to travel up there & return.Don't forget the £15 congestion charge as well.
If you go by train, again about 3 hours to central London & back and then the time to get to where your gig takes place. Also add the cost of getting to London & back.

So for just a short journey by train or car with only £4:50p for 5 hours parking, I can understand why some people think the prices, high as they are for a small seaside town, represent good value taking all the above into consideration.

Also I have heard that the sound system at the De La Warr is excellent and better than many other venues & for some people that might be a deal breaker.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:27 am

Ah, if you put it that way, then the cost of going to an event locally hardly compares with the massive cost and logistics of trekking up to London just for an evening!

But .. besides jazz and rock at times, I also love opera and desperately miss nights at Covent Garden, or maybe the RFH. Never found a perfect way of resolving it. Several of my friends and family did the same as I did and deserted the metropolis, so I no longer have places to stay overnight. Travelling up there just for the evening does not make much sense - unless you want to come home at three in the morning!

However, the idea of a short break is appealing, when the lockdown ends. You can still find cheap rooms in London (they don't always have windows!), so overall a couple of days enjoying the museums and galleries plus some good music could be reasonable value.

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”