Paint or Draw " The Crown "

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
Richard

Re: Paint or Draw " The Crown "

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 am

seahermit, you are typically pedantic and opinionated, a painting of the pub can incorporate anything that is relevant to the subject matter - there are no rigorous stipulations.
Artists look for inspiration, not inhibition and prescription, which is something you fail to comprehend.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 pm

It's a question of precision and getting your facts right, Richard .. as opposed to introducing irrelevancies. The competition is about the look of the building, nothing whatsoever to do with what tasty food morsels are served up!

Artists do indeed look for inspiration. They won't find much in a locked-up, drab red-brick building which, without the trestles outside, could be a warehouse. If I am wrong .. where are all the beautiful images which Hastings artists have rushed to create? We'll keep waiting for them ..

number9

Postby number9 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:25 pm

The advantage the Crown has is, that it is on the corner of 2 roads. This gives a bit more scope for someone painting or drawing the pub and they can also include people walking by.

If I had the skill to paint /draw the pub I would not display it in a square frame but instead put an oval shape inside the square giving the picture more depth.

I didn't know that Alexander J Littlejohn a former landlord of this pub was a survivor of the Titanic and was in lifeboat 13. He was landlord for about 6 years
The pub was rebuilt after a fire in 1921

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:56 pm

That's what I like about Hastings and what makes it an unusually fascinating town. It is not just another coastal resort of course, a lot of history going back a long time and many connections with historical and literary figures.

I have a feeling Nelson was supposed to have visited once, although maybe that's my imagination taking flight!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:20 am

seahermit, art is not about precision, far from it.
That is where you fail completely.
You claim not to be an artist but to appreciate literature, drama, poetry, therefore you must understand that various influences and interpretations have a part to play.
The written/spoken language can be unusual, expressive, subversive, whatever works, it does not have to conform to set rules or preconceptions.
A painting or drawing is not just about an architect's drawing/painting of the bare building and so you must desist from demanding exactitude.
I have not introduced irrelevancies, I just suggested that food, drink, historic elements may play a part. How would they not? What is your objection?
It all forms and informs the picture.
Imagination and inspiration is to be welcomed,it must never be confined by the straitjackets of conformity and stricture.
You may have your own personal views on what constitutes art, as do we all, but we will have to agree to disagree when it comes to your attempts to define its parameters.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:43 am

What on earth are you talking about?! If you read my posts properly, you might (possibly) realise that my complaint about lack of precision related to your own woffly statements. Tell me where I said that "art is about precision". Your words, not mine.

Of course an artist is free if he wishes to introduce all sorts of ideas and interpretations beyond the original parameters laid down for a picture. But you are inventing stuff, Richard, the sketchy notices in the pub's windows talked of a painting of the building itself - nothing whatsoever to do with the accursed food served!

You spoil your own arguments, Richard, by wandering off along all sorts of irrelevant byeways instead of sticking to the point with clearly-considered and absolutely precise statements. Very irritating, I have to say.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:57 am

It would be a very good idea if, during the lockdown, artists were encouraged to produce images of some of the pubs in the old town - plenty of them which are old and picturesque. The Stag is always the one you see paintings of, but the Old Pump House could almost be out of a Dickens book.

However, it occurs to me that sitting on a stool in the street and doing a painting might actually contravene the official guidance - not exactly an essential reason for going outdoors and, if it garnered a crowd of watchers, not the social distancing we are meant to be maintaining!

Incidentally, the Old Pump House is not old. It was built I think in the 20th century from dismantled bits rescued from other demolished buildings.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:40 pm

seahermit, why you should want to take on the role of a martinet over the interpretation of a painting or drawing, or what you think should be allowed or discussed, beggars belief.
Don't take yourself so seriously, life is far too short!
And why do state 'accursed food served'.
That is downright nasty of you.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:58 pm

If anyone cares to wander up to 'The Crown' there are a few good art works on display in the windows. Some could only have been done after many hours of patient endeavour.
I hope they can be compiled into a publication showing what talented artist we have.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:10 am

"seahermit, why you should want to take on the role of a martinet over the interpretation of a painting or drawing, or what you think should be allowed or discussed, beggars belief"

It's called freedom of speech, Richard - heard of that?!

I walked up to the Crown previously - as I said, it was boarded up and pretty dreary-looking. Maybe it has been smartened up .. but really once was enough, I can't find a reason to waste time in that direction again, the lockdown has turned everywhere into "a ghost town". Only the shore remains beautiful as ever.

Will have a look if I am up that way anyway for some reason, not otherwise.

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”