Dying to travel again

Conversation regarding Hastings attractions and events taking place in the area.
seahermit

Dying to travel again

Postby seahermit » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:05 pm

I'm not sure when restrictions will really ease up, foreign travel is out of course, but I can't wait to toddle off to Brighton for a start. I love the mass of old bookshops, retro clothes shops, music shops, cafes which fill the North Laine area (by the station).

I could spend a year travelling around the UK! Another wander around East Anglia if we get a decent summer/autumn, I want to visit the remoter parts of northern Scotland and the railway museums at York and Darlington are on my bucket list too. Never seen the Flying Scotsman.

Richard

Re: Dying to travel again

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Not sure where I would like to travel too really.
My top priority would be a decent local haircut.
Personal attention such as acupuncture, massage therapy, and so on.

Travel will involve taking risks into or through areas of higher covid numbers.
Early lifting of restrictions is fraught with dangers.
I can't see it settling down any time soon.

Avoid eating in places with air-conditioning as it can spread the virus repeatedly.
Likewise coach travel or train travel with air-circulation systems.

I'd be happy to stay put until we are more certain that the infection is not going to come back.
That may take some time to be certain of the outcome.

Hastings infection rates are currently quite low, Brighton is 2 or 3 times higher.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:34 pm

That is all quite true, caution is advisable. I have been avoiding any locations which are at all crowded (on the promenade people behave as if the virus can't transmit there - no attempt at social distancing and no masks!).

Some good points about air-conditioned, crowded trains etc. - I never thought of that.

Brighton seems to be following the pattern of other crowded towns/cities. At the other end of the scale, there are hamlets in Scotland which have had no cases of Covid at all! Our sociable way of living has certainly exacerbated (or caused) the spread of pandemics. As from the Black Death onwards ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Whatever the true causes and spread of the Black Death, in the mid-1300's, or any other contagious disease, up to the present day, whether it is viral or bacterial is one matter.
The 'Black Death' plague only ended through the implementation of quarantines.
The uninfected would typically remain in their homes and only leave when it was necessary, while those who could afford to do so would exit the more densely populated areas and live in greater isolation.
The same pattern continues, Londoners (for example) escaping, encouraged by financial carrots (SDLT exemption) to more healthy areas.

number9

Postby number9 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:45 pm

I'm hoping to take a 3 or 4 night short break in April/May either in Hampshire, West Sussex or Kent.Somewhere away from any main town or city like Portsmouth,Southampton etc
A small cottage or self contained apartment ....being cautious on public transport
If a train compartment is more than half full or more than 2 people without masks, I will avoid.
Same goes on buses...I would rather miss one than travel on a full bus and always try to open windows if they are shut.
I also will bring my own anti bacterial wipes and wipe surfaces down in the cottage when I
get there.
It will be good to get away for a short break, just having a different place to take a walk in the
countryside will be enjoyable.We are allowed to do this after April 11th

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 am

Like everyone, I want to shoot off for a break, but all the signs are that there will be a rush for accommodation .. and prices will go up. Somewhere I read that pre-bookings of cottages and other self-catering are very high.

Best to let the herd charge ahead - go travelling later when it all calms down a bit, especially in the less-popular autumn period. Nice time to take a break if the weather is OK. This year, I might even take a winter break if we get a warm spell!

For me, after a horrible 12 months, it will be so enjoyable to go anywhere at all that a long, sunny day out long the coast or some birdwatching around Rye Harbour will seem like a pretty good holiday!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:58 am

I have to say that I have not been perturbed at all by the lockdown.
I would not even entertain the idea of public transport.
Why would you, unless you had no alternative?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:56 am

I sold my last car a few years ago and I am being honest in saying that I have rarely had a single regret.

Everywhere I want to go locally is accessible on foot (or a brief and quick bus/train ride - no searching for a parking place for half an hour) and I infinitely prefer walking and keeping reasonably fit. When I went to East Anglia in 2019, I walked out of Ipswich Station with a heavy rucksack on my back, didn't jump into a taxi but ended up spending two hours walking across town to the hotel - because I became fascinated in all the old buildings!

The stress and congestion of the roads these days cannot compete with the comfort of a train - read a book, have a nap, get there feeling very relaxed and rested.

I used to hire a car sometimes, which would admittedly be useful to explore somewhere like Scotland. But there's nothing wrong with staying somewhere and doing lots of walking ..

I have several times counted up the annual cost of running a car. It ends of course in numerous thousands - which would pay for countless taxis or even a whole holiday in some beautiful spot.

The only real "freedom" of a car is speed. But what do people do with that extra bit of time they save? Not very much .. the ones who slow down and savour the journey are often the ones who achieve more.

number9

Postby number9 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:30 am

Unfortunately not everywhere is accessible by public transport, especially on a Sunday and some places you might want to go, are hard to get to. Of course one of the solutions is to walk but not everyone has good mobility and can walk for a couple of hours. Trains can be useful but again not every place you might wish to visit has a train station.

Return to “Attractions, Places to Visit and Local Events”