Dental Implants

Share your experiences of local businesses - recommend or discourage!
Richard

Dental Implants

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Anyone had a good experience of these done well and at a good price in a Dentist locally?
I might have to get them done abroad (dental tourism) if they are too expensive for me.

Technique

Re: Dental Implants

Postby Technique » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I have to have a back one done - my dentist (who is in London as I work there) who is very good at this sort of thing has quoted me £2400! He did my friend's implant and my partner's veneers and they are superb.

Like you I have thought about going abroad, one of my work colleagues went to Europe and had about 2k of work done for £600. What puts me off a little is that there is usually a period of time between them screwing the erm, screw into the bone for it to bed in and them putting the final implant on top. When you go abroad they do it all together, I think for something so invasive you have to be quite brave to go abroad - not sure if I am.

My dentist told me you have to have it done within a certain amount of time as the bone shrinks away eventually, so I'm not sure how long you get.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:15 pm

thanks, technique.
My dentist says he doesn't do them but he can get someone in to his surgery or send me to someone in 'Harley Street' if I really want the best. (or to get really 'ripped off')
Or he suggests going to Sweden and treating it as a holiday, but as you say there seem to be two stages of 1) implanting screws into the jaw bone and then 2) attaching the 'caps'.
I'd rather be able to go home after each stage I think, especially if it involves much pain.
Longer term you probably have to ask whether gum shrinkage would reveal gaps above the 'caps'.
I have heard of a place in Brighton doing them for between 1 to 2 k a go but are cheap ones any different? This is all difficult to learn without taking a chance I guess.

I think if you are siting an implant in an area of tooth extraction it has to be done within a certain period or the bone (needed to anchor the implant) is re-absorbed into the jaw bone and a bone graft may then be necessary.
Not one for the squeamish - oh! and I have heard some who say local anaesthetic is fine but others who say it is still too painful and swear by 'Twilight Sleep' (like strong Valium I think).

roy

Postby roy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi,Richard,I was looking at this not long ago and e mailed several dentists in Europe and the one that seemed the best was Hungarian,Budapest is apparently the place to go for good quality and excellent prices,if you still thinking of doing it get in touch if your looking for someone to come along for the same treatment.
Last edited by roy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 pm

thanks roy,

I will certainly keep all options open and consider "dental tourism".
I think the alternative is not pleasant - 'dentures' with a large lump of plastic in the mouth that stops you from tasting food & drink !!

nosferatu

Postby nosferatu » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Did you get your implant done, Richard? I went to a place in Hove and the price ended up well over the price they advertised. They managed to find all manner of extras to add on. I think the advertised price was around £2,200. I ended up paying £2,850. I looked at places abroad. Fine 'til something goes wrong.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:31 am

still saving up, will try Brighton but I don't yet know whether its better to do it piecemeal or pay for it all in 'one hit' instead.
What i need really is a dentist who is prepared to use me as 'a guinea pig' and not have to pay anything !!
:shock:

ippudo

Postby ippudo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi Richard,

Not sure if you're still saving up but my dentist (Andreas from Camden Dental Care in London) happens to be an expert implantologist and recently gave me the choice between a Straumann implant (£2600 + £280 for bone reconstruction) and a Nobel Biocare implant (£1600 + £280 for b/c). Apparently the latter is just as good, so I went for it. No complaints so far. Some years ago I had an implant fitted by an NHS dentist (£1400, no b/c) which according to Andreas turned out to be a cheap Straumann copy from China (!), so I guess one needs to be careful.

P.S. This is my first post and I should be moving to Hastings very soon.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:49 pm

ippudo, thanks for the informative reply,
will look him up, did not know about the different types.

still saving !!

Return to “Local Traders, good and bad”