Uninspirng pubs in Hastings centre

Share your experiences of local businesses - recommend or discourage!
moonjiver

Uninspirng pubs in Hastings centre

Postby moonjiver » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:49 pm

I wonder if anyone has any strong views about drnking holes, favourite or otherwise, in the town centre?

I often pop into the Wetherspoons pub at the end of the afternoon because it's a convenient, quite comfortable pit-stop before trekking home and I can bump into several friends. It's friendly, and cheap of course, but has always been badly managed in my opinion. Even when the pub isn't busy, the litter of meals is often not cleared away for hours, the tables are often filthy and stained with beer and nobody seems to be firmly in charge. I've noticed that some of the bar girls are really nice and work hard, dashing around to serve customers - but last night, despite few customers, I waited 15 minutes just to order a cup of tea and the two girls on duty just ignored customers waiting and joked with one of the regulars. Really depressing. I gave up in the end, found the (charming) duty manageress and complained - and then went to Yates's.

I was served instantly, the tea was even brought to my table and the whole pub was spotless and very organised. I later had quite a decent chicken meal as well.

Maybe somebody should get up a Facebook campaign! It just seems that Wetherspoons have it too easy, get a lot of custom and can afford to be sloppy.

The only other pub I can think of in the town centre is the Clarence - ok maybe but noisy! Does anyone have other favourite places to go if they want a drink or meal at the end of the day?

Richard

Re: Uninspirng pubs in Hastings centre

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Don't like most of them, Havelock was not good last time I visited, pre- the latest redecorating.
Wetherspoons or Yates are chains I would never visit, owing to lack of atmosphere, perhaps I am wrong.
TinTins are open very very late and I liked the atmosphere but the toilets were horrendous last time I went there.
The Dripping Well, next to a scary yoof pub (Tubman of old?) up at Cambridge Gardens was very pleasant and relaxed, a complete and utter contrast.
The bar with sky TV ? Moda? opposite the Cinema is a bit mass-market without much style.
The Clarence is noisy and crowded whenever I try to enter.

Not impressed with any apart from the quiet but friendly Dripping Well.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 pm

That's really interesting and I think I agree with all of it. I'd forgotten the Dripping Well - yes, really nice, properly run with some care and it's always been the same.

I wonder if the landlords ever read this stuff .. or care? Can they not somehow be shamed little into polishing up their service, since competition does 't seem to make much difference?! After all, they are happy to take the punters' money, in quantity at the busiest pubs.

It's completely different in the Old Town, hard to think of a pub which is not cosy, clean and the staff polite and helpful.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:52 pm

I have a couple of mates that are always singing the praises of the Pig in Paradise (on your way home MJ) for friendly atmosphere and good food. But I gather that one's experience at the pig depends on which staff are on duty too.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:17 am

I have to be careful what I say here, the Pig and I know each other a bit too well! It's where we staged our Bizarre Market in July.

The "new" manager, Mick, who manages several pubs in Hastings is a somewhat charming guy and, after he took back control of the Pig, the place overnight became much cleaner, nicer and busy with different events. And the food is reputed to be good.

Before then, the pub was looking very dejected and, in the rear function room, filthy and the staff seemed demoralised. Some of them I gather "moved on.

So it all depends on the attitude and the will - the Pig seems to be doing well now, previously I was quite often amazed to see it closed up by about 7pm even on a Friday/Saturday night.

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:45 pm

I think given the choice of town centre or old town pubs, most would prefer the old town? Myself included...

In town, the one I have my eye on most is the old Pig, now called the Palace? Went in there over the summer when it was a pop up hot dog place, food was okay, but what impressed us most was the range of craft ales they have on sale. Now it's reopened with a bigger menu and plan on introducing more interesting craft ales, we intend to go back there and see how it's getting on.

Haven't got a problem with Spoons, agree with how poorly managed it does seem in there at times, but most of the time the food/drink is adequate and the staff are friendly enough.

Another place I like is Walkers, but a bit on the pricey side compared to other places nearby.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:06 pm

I agree, and what was once 'The Pig' is now a great place for a quick drink when music concerts are on at the Pier.
A very long serving-counter with an amazing range of Craft Ales and it can cope with crowds easily.
Not sure who is behind it but clearly someone savvy with the beer/ale 'scene'.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Oh the days in the 60-70s and wandering along to the Palace Bars (Hotel) which was always very busy then especially on weekends. Avoided the pub next to Marriotts (now closed I think) and then up the steps to Cambridge Road to the Dripping Well. If it was closing time by then we might go down to the Fiesta for a frothy coffee. Through the town along Queens Road to the Chinese Takeaway now where the petrol station is and then yet more steps up to wards the West Hill.

On a more adventurous night out we would walk all the way along the prom to the Royal Vic for a bit more relaxing comfort. Those were the days before 'vertical' pubs were invented in city centres. No chairs or tables but perhaps a tiny shelf to rest your glass on and almost no room to lift your arm to drink it.

......am I really a grumpy old man?

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:03 pm

What sort of beer are you getting anyway?

'Real ale' (cask-conditioned) is a beer matured by entirely natural secondary fermentation in the container from which it is dispensed, and served without the use of extraneous carbon dioxide.
'Keg Beer' or 'Craft Ale' involves no secondary fermentation, so gas has to be added 'behind the counter' to "fizz up" the beer in the pub - i guess that is what you are getting at 'The Palace'.

There are at least two 'microbrewery pubs' in Hastings (Filo & The Imperial) brewing their own 'Real Ale', and some pubs which buy it externally - not sure about St. Leonards.

Which pubs serve the best beer and does it even matter as long as it is just about ok and fairly cheap?

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Reading through the forums and this thread caught my eye, me and my wife still enjoy going to The Palace on our 'date nights'. Think it's run by the same person/people as The Albion? Have given up with Wetherspoons for food, since writing my previous post, have found the standard of food get progressively worse.

To answer your question Richard (10 months later!), my favourite places for good beer are the Palace and the Jenny Lind, plus have since visited the FILO and was really impressed.

Random thought I had another day how there are no Harvey's pubs in Hastings, went to the Red Lion in Stone Cross a month ago and loved their Dark Malt, you can get it online, but would rather pay for a decent pint straight out of the barrell than a multipack can...

Return to “Local Traders, good and bad”