Few decent places to eat in town at night

Share your experiences of local businesses - recommend or discourage!
seahermit

Re: Few decent places to eat in town at night

Postby seahermit » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:52 am

I had a Sambuca in Weatherspoons earlier this evening. It's a liqueur I suppose. There are atleast three different versions all based on aniseed - the black one is flavoured with blackcurrant, I had a white one tonight. Tiny glass, smaller than an egg cup, but don't gulp it down in one, you won't be able to breathe afterwards! Powerful stuff. Changes your view of life somewhat.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Added to coffee to sweeten it and the two should provide a kick to the system.
Rocky Horror Show stuff perhaps?
seahermit as 'Frank N Furter' would be my bet.
:)

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Sambuca has a terrific, distinctive flavour - though not for everybody of course. To mix it with coffee would be a crime. Whisky in a cup of tea though is a horse's kick to the system! One of my grandmother's secret vices.

I was in the Old England, London Road, of all places the other night. Briefly - fancied a drink on a warm summer night. My friends joke about it and it is noisy at times, but it was actually cosy and friendly and someone bought me a second Sambuca. And a Polish woman chatted me up! There you go ..

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 pm

I mainly avoid St Leonard's pubs. The "Doom and Gloom" (sorry, Horse and Groom) is a nice old pub but the landlord is very odd, tries to pick a quarrel with me every time I go in! He bans people constantly I gather, not for any particular reason.

The St Leonard is not bad but the incessant pop music irritates me and everybody has to shout above it.

The Railway is a bit of a local drinking hole, OK but a bit small and not very friendly.

There is what used to be called The Rooms near the station, looks clean and smart but trying to be trendy?

I suppose I am a bit fussy!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Negative reviews on 'Trip Advisor' for 'Horse and Groom' are as follows:

"Nothing to recommend this pub. Customers are treated as if they shouldn't be there. It's stuck in a time warp and the landlord is rude. After being insulted I left to find a pub that treats people with respect."

and

"Its a very traditional pub, with a grumpy landlord and some surly staff. Could be so much nicer, but I guess it appeals to the regulars."

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am

Well done for unearthing those. I am slightly shocked - people aren't usually quite so blunt in their criticisms. But it's true that the landlord and the welcome are very odd - I'm not sure how he has managed to keep afloat for so long with such an unpleasant attitude towards customers.

St Leonard's is a very odd town as a whole!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:24 pm

I have found that Landlords often have difficulty in managing food-paying customers, whom they naturally want to prioritise, alongside people who want a drink only.
They seem to take it out on the latter - perhaps John Cleese could have arranged a sketch accordingly.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:37 am

It seems to be a particularly British attitude, that landlords and staff are doing you a favour by putting themselves out to let you into the place and give you some sort of service. "Do you have Sambuca?" "No, mate, don't sell it". Bored and irritated look comes over the visage.

In France, in Italy, in every country I have ever visited, retail staff are eager to please you and find ways of accommodating you. More than once in bars on the continent, I have known places stay open until 2am because one or two customers were still enjoying their drinks and a good natter. The smiling owner merely read his paper and wasn't the least bit bothered. No doubt realised that without customers, he wouldn't have a living!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:17 pm

There are many issues involved in the workplace here.
If the boss is difficult and makes you feel undervalued or to be just a 'skivvy', with people queuing up to take your job, and the workers are also unfriendly or very competitive, then you are going to be unhappy.
If you have an ego that suggests the job is beneath your 'worth' or rather meaningless, then you are also not going to be very happy.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:34 am

I did a spell in catering years ago. What a shock to the system! Very hard work, horrible bosses (some), terrible pay. I never hassle catering staff or complain about waiting for a meal - they are almost certainly doing their best whilst being pushed around. It seems to be a particularly British attitude, that catering is a lowly occupation - abroad they seem to have more pride in the quality of service and in pleasing customers.

I popped into Weatherspoons early this evening. But I waited for ever to be even noticed and the whole atmosphere was unfriendly, so I walked out again! Went on home for a cuppa and the service was instant and excellent ..

Return to “Local Traders, good and bad”