THE COOKHOUSE CAFÉ

Share your experiences of local businesses - recommend or discourage!
Richard

THE COOKHOUSE CAFÉ

Postby Richard » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:22 pm

Located at 79. Queens Road and nearly opposite to Morrisons supermarket.
This 'cafe' attempt to serve food in a showcase-surround for the owner's quirky graphic-design art, displayed on the interior walls.
The Hungarian owner is Csaba (pron Chabba) he has spent some considerable time and effort in installing a framework of an industrial style to clad the walls and exterior of the façade to set off his designs. Full marks for that.
I think Csaba is attempting to run two businesses at the same time and failing mainly on the food, which although acceptable, is not improved at all by dressing it up with little swirls of decoration and tiny slices of vegetable matter. Sweets and mints and bourbon biscuits added to the saucer underneath the drinks.
Coffee is served without any mention of type, roasted or otherwise, or origin and tea is also nondescript.
The food is served in a cool and detached manner, which seems almost perfunctory.
The food is not exactly cheap or tempting, it seems bland, although I have only sampled English-style fayre.
No choice of brown or white bread for 'toasties', or breakfast, is offered from my experience.
Csaba dresses in the manner of Poirot, with bowler hat and suit on his arrival and departure from the 'cafe'.
His stenciled and printed 'artwork' is rather derivative and predictable but alright if you like that sort of thing and want to pay £20 - £30 for a piece to decorate your kitchen or bedroom.
He also prints Hastings history themes onto photo-paper and displays them in frames.
A wall-section covered with wooden and print-covered bow-ties relate to his interest in fashion, I believe he was once a tailor of sorts.
Enterprising in a way but I would prefer that the food was a little more satisfying and can't decide if I really want graphic-design artwork to take precedence.

seahermit

Re: THE COOKHOUSE CAFÉ

Postby seahermit » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:43 am

Interesting. It always looked to me like a somewhat basic caff, so it never occurred to me to go in there, nicer places in the town centre. But I will check it out sometime, always interested in somewhere different. Although .. proprietors often try something "different" or off-beat - doesn't at all mean it will appeal to the punters or succeed commercially! It's hard to get the tone right and many new pubs/cafes seem to change their decor etc. after a while.

Return to “Local Traders, good and bad”