Loss of large retailers in Hastings

Share your experiences of local businesses - recommend or discourage!
seahermit

Re: Loss of large retailers in Hastings

Postby seahermit » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 am

I'm sorry, Richard, with the best will in the world, I cannot make sense of what you are saying!

There are plenty of shops and some pubs around here which have closed down, others which have had to lay off staff - if you are not aware of that or are denying that, well you have a right to your perspective of course.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Lying in bed last night, off the top of my head I counted atleast 11 shops/bars which seem to have closed down for good since March. In St Leonards/Hastings. Some have notices in the window to that effect. There must be others of course.

But I don't think I am obliged to prove myself to you, Richard. You seem to like arguing against reality at times.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:57 pm

12! I forgot Debenhams. Devestating blow, once trading ends, the premises will probably remain empty for ages. A news item today said that almost a quarter of old BHS buildings still stand unoccupied. Nobody knows what to do with them.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 pm

seahermit, If you truly cannot make sense of what I am saying I will spell it out in simple terms.
Many shops in Hastings, as elsewhere, have business plans that will never work out regardless of Covid, or whatever.
You seem to agree, suggesting that, some are indeed speculative, but then go on to say that others are going from decent profit to absolute broke, despite generous grant aid.
If they had decent profits under their belt then why would they suddenly keel over?
They have so far been supported by fairly generous grants.
You cite evidence from a suggested amount of shops and pubs that have closed down, without providing any evidence of the reasons.
Peacocks in Hastings Queens Road was failing well before Covid came along, as was Debenhams.
You claim that a greedy council has been partly to blame and yet many small businesses are exempt from business rates.
I fail to see your grounds for implying that Covid is the reason.
In fact I struggle to see what you are blaming for the alleged closures you cite and more so without evidence of actual cause.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:19 pm

At no time did I say that Peacocks was a victim of Covid. Where did u get that from, Richard? Debenhams was indeed in trouble more than a year ago but Covid put paid to the attempts to keep the business afloat and that was stated by the owners themselves.

The media has been full of reports of small businesses not surviving because of the lockdown, including those which for various reasons fall outside the conditions laid down for receiving government help. And the evidence is all around us.

Are you saying that you don't accept that argument? Are you by any chance related to the Trump dynasty, Richard?!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:19 pm

seahermit, many larger companies on the High Street (excepting the supermarket chains) were failing, with many of their branches closing, well before Covid reared its ugly head.
You can admit to that, at least, without beating about the bush.
You seem to state the following:
'The media has been full of reports of small businesses not surviving because of the lockdown, including those which for various reasons fall outside the conditions laid down for receiving government help. And the evidence is all around us.'

seahermit, do not slavishly believe all that you read in the Press.
All small businesses received (or were eligible for) government help.
What were the various reasons you speculate that made them fall outside the conditions laid down for receiving government help.
You say the evidence is all around us.
I think that you are misguided.
Please feel free to name a small company that has gone to the wall directly as result of Covid alone.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:30 pm

You ask me not to believe all that I read in the press. You don't mention TV, radio, websites .. presumably they are trustworthy! No, no. I think you have got your terminology confused .. I assume you really mean "media". Do you mean it's ALL unreliable?

Please do tell me, Richard, what secret sources of information you have access to, which are denied to most ordinary mortals! Meantime, I will continue to absorb my info from all sources, reliable or not, and make my own mind up about what is true and believable.

I am curious as to why it is so important to you to keep flogging a dubious argument and win it if at all possible. It is quite irritating and perhaps you need to get out more, Richard.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:51 pm

seahermit.
I do go out every day (7 days a week), without a break, working in numerous businesses in Hastings, come rain, cold or shine.
I know that many landlords rent out small premises, on low rent, with few overheads.
That is how it works and it will continue regardless, the decent landlords even offering advice on how to claim grants in these difficult times.
You just guess that small businesses must be in trouble, from what you hear in 'Media' sources.
I see differently.
I have no argument, why should I have, I tell it how it is.
In cases where rental payments are demanded without any chance of grant-aid, and admittedly there are a few, then I can agree that those businesses will grind to a halt if we have more lock-downs ahead.
We aren't quite there yet, but that time may come and I will advise accordingly.

Return to “Local Traders, good and bad”