Time for a Change?

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Derek Jempson

Time for a Change?

Postby Derek Jempson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:45 pm

This weekend sees the bi-annual change of time in the UK.

Successive governments have pledged to look into the possibility of instigating all-year-round BST or GMT, or even “double summer time”, but the matter always gets “lost”. My guess for the lack of action is the fear of upsetting Scottish farmers, who prefer lighter mornings, and that's understandable (for the record, I'm an early riser and prefer lighter mornings as well).

However, I for one hate all the palaver of time changing twice a year. I have thirteen clocks/watches in my household to alter each time and it's a real chore. There is also one other clock – my body clock, which always takes a couple of days to acclimatise.

My strategy is to do nothing on Saturday and then change the household time early on Sunday morning. In the spring, the lost time can be made-up during the day, and in the autumn, the extra time is a bonus.

Where do other members stand on this topic?

cbe

Re: Time for a Change?

Postby cbe » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:06 pm

May be taken out of our hands soon - aren't the EU hinting that they would want us to drop the act of putting the clocks back and forward?

Personally I would stop the constant altering of the clocks but on the point of the Scottish farmers....if they like to start work earlier - because of the light - why don't they just do so - regardless of the time on the clock?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:09 pm

An American politician and inventor called Benjamin Franklin first came up with the idea while in Paris in 1784.
He suggested that if people got up earlier, when it was lighter, then it would save on candles.
An extra hour in bed seems like a good idea to me but that all depends whether you are a morning person or a night owl.

It is getting light much later at this time of year so it kind of makes sense to rise later but it doesn't work both ways as it will then seem to get dark even earlier...

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 pm

I don't think changing the clocks is a problem. We have done it for as long as I can remember, in fact it is an enjoyable seasonal ritual that heralds the end of summer or winter. I have just one clock and three watches so no big deal. Computers and phones change automatically.

I actually enjoy the early dark winter afternoons especially sundays when after a nice walk I can return home to crumpets and a nice cup of tea.

The only problem I used to have was when the clocks went forward. When running asunday league football team it was always an anxious moment wondering if all your team would turn up in time for ko

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”