Giraffe Killing

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Giraffe Killing

Postby Richard » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 pm

What a bad piece of P.R. for a Zoo to clinically kill and then show the dismembering of a Giraffe that did not have the right genetic make up to require killing it at 2 years old.
It seems really barbaric and stupid to me anyway.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Mymblesdaughter

Re: Giraffe Killing

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:24 pm

I agree it's done a lot of harm to the idea that zoos are now ethical and all about conservation. It seems it's happens all the time though Longleat killed 6 lions recently, but at least had the sense to keep it quiet.

Zoos like to draw people in to see cute baby animals because they are businesses trying to make money.

I found the whole thing sickening.

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:53 am

I haven't been to a Zoo in years_ _ __ _ _.I have severe doubts about the ethics of these institution.

Olly

Giraffe Killing

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:07 pm

[quoted]
Richard wrote:
What a bad piece of P.R. for a Zoo to clinically kill and then show the dismembering of a Giraffe that did not have the right genetic make up to require killing it at 2 years old.

[/quoted]

I understood that it was ordered to be done by our lords and masters in Brussels.

Herring_Gull

Giraffe Killing

Postby Herring_Gull » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:23 pm

[quoted]
Olly wrote:
[quoted]
Richard wrote:

[/quoted]

I understood that it was ordered to be done by our lords and masters in Brussels.

[/quoted]

Cue: Under UKr/-\p it would all be so different.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:53 pm

The modern zoo is a killing machine for anything which does not fit in with the wider plans for animal genetic diversity, but they allow breeding between know genetically inferior parents because it is the young animals that help zoos to draw in the crowds and zoos are finding that when they reach maturity there is no space for them and no market for them in other zoos.

Zoos across Europe act as a coalition in the European Endangered Species Programme (EEP), pooling resources to build genetically-diverse species for potential release into the wild.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Olly

Giraffe Killing

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:58 am

[quoted]
Herring_Gull wrote:
[quoted]
Olly wrote:
[quoted]
Richard wrote:

[/quoted]

[/quoted]

Cue: Under UKr/-\p it would all be so different.

[/quoted]

At least UK(ra)P (such wit!) wouldn't dance to Brussels tune like the grovelling mainstreams would. Indeed, Nige would respond with the vernacular of 'Go away and . . . ' - well you know the rest!! :whistle:

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”