Ukraine and the European Community

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Ukraine and the European Community

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Ukraine is now stepping closer to its desire to be part of the European Community as France, Germany and Poland are helping to negotiate a Peace Accord.

The current crisis for Ukraine has emerged as that country tried to pull away from Moscow (towards Europe) since the break up of the Soviet Union.
Ukraine still needs cheap energy from Putin's Russia and there are bills to pay in that respect.

Do we want Ukraine in the EU and can we afford it ?

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Derek Jempson

Re: Ukraine and the European Community

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:02 am

Unfortunately, decisions like that are beyond our control. I don't know about everyone else who voted to join a European trading group (The Common Market), but I feel well and truly shafted!

Olly

Postby Olly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:26 am

[quoted]
Derek Jempson wrote:
Unfortunately, decisions like that are beyond our control. I don't know about everyone else who voted to join a European trading group (The Common Market), but I feel well and truly shafted!
[/quoted]

Most countries go to war to either acquire or retain their sovereignty/independence! Ukraine is hell-bent on going to war to give it away. D'oh! But hey, they're not stupid - they know they'll be net beneficiaries of EU largesse funded by (inter alia) - wait for it . . . the seriously indebted UK, which national debt at the end of December 2013 stood at GBP1,254.3 billion or 75.7% of GDP. :o (source Wiki) You couldn't bloody well make it up!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Ukraine has a desperate economic situation with people starving while their president (backed by the soviets) lived in a gaudy palace.
Sounds like that Romanian dictator - Ceauand#537;escu.
with loyal hard-line police still ready to pounce from the eastern Ukraine and mass panic and uprising on the streets.
Is there no end to this sort of thing?

you certainly couldn't make that up !!

Olly

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 am

[quoted]
Richard wrote:
Ukraine has a desperate economic situation with people starving while their president (backed by the soviets) lived in a gaudy palace.
Sounds like that Romanian dictator - Ceauand#537;escu.
with loyal hard-line police still ready to pounce from the eastern Ukraine and mass panic and uprising on the streets.
Is there no end to this sort of thing?

you certainly couldn't make that up !!

[/quoted]

If the fools who run the EU go yomping around the world bailing out all countries which are in dire straits we'll be the ones who are starving - that makes a lot of sense! :erm: We already have food banks and soup kitchens.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Britain has always taken it upon itself to receive those fleeing persection and the EU is good at conducting those at risk towards our shores if it suits their agenda.

roy

Postby roy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 pm

What seems to have been totally missed by the mainstream media is that the former president was ELECTED democratically,he was overthrown with a coup,he won the last election fair and square against the woman who has just been released from prison for corruption.
So if we was to follow, we could take to the streets and overthrow Cameron and the coalition even though they got the most votes,just like the president of Ukraine,seems the west wants it both ways.

Enjoy life.you never know when it will end.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 am

Viktor Yanukovych was elected democratically but soon appointed some very "hard-line" officials, then gave the Soviets' virtually free reign to base their naval fleet in the Crimea and then changed the constitution and granted himself great powers over the whole of the Ukraine.
He then amassed a fortune and much property after engaging in embezzlement and theft to the tune of GBP15 billion.
As they say, "power corrupts" and he had achieved the above all within three years of being in office.

Now I am sure all our polly's have their cronies but I think they are not as power mad and avaricious as the former president of the Ukraine, who is no doubt hiding in just the region where he cleverly granted Russia some degree of control.

I think I am rather glad we don't have a president in the UK (then again there is one for the EU)_ _ _

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:54 am

The Black Sea has been the home port of the Russian Fleet back to the times of the Crimean war and before. I also know that another country has military bases situated in foreign countries. Britain leased Diego Garcia to the Americans (and exiled the inhabitants). It has a base in Cuba at Guantanamo Bay, it also has a base in a former Soviet state I think Kazakhstan. Russia is protecting it's influence in the same way that other power blocs protect their own.

The EU is however not some sort of foreign state that dictates to Britain; it is in effect under the direction of international capital and free markets as is shown by the involvement of the IMF determining policies of Greece and Italy and even imposed a Prime Minister in the latter.
Capitalism does not recognise the borders of countries.

As for corruption and double dealing we only have to look at some of the business people that have benefitted from capitalism post 1989. who are now lauded in the West. Just what did they do to 'earn' their wealth?

Olly

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 pm

[quoted]
Richard wrote:
Britain has always taken it upon itself to receive those fleeing persection and the EU is good at conducting those at risk towards our shores if it suits their agenda.
[/quoted]

And we should congratulate ourselves on that; but the operative words are 'fleeing persecution', and how many are genuinely fleeing persecution against opportunists who know that all they have to do is actually make landfall on our shores, utter the word 'asylum', and before we can ask 'Why' they're welcomed into the system by the liberal fools who run this country. When I first heard, way back when, that they were allowed asylum without the need to prove their case, I honestly couldn't believe it..

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”