Tunis Cake!

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Derek Jempson

Tunis Cake!

Postby Derek Jempson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a Tunis Cake. I usually buy mine from the Hollington Tesco, but despite several recent visits, I have drawn a blank. Does anyone know of a source locally (getting desperate now)?

Gerry Glyde

Re: Tunis Cake!

Postby Gerry Glyde » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Tunis cake is surely for Easter. But then again in this global free for all we have lost seasons for cakes in addition to fruit and veg.

Strawberries in June for 3 months, followed by raspberries peaches and the like and plums in the autumn with Victoria variety being the best, but also greengages that are now less common. And then best of all tangerines just in time for Christmas. Oh the fun we had in post austerity Britain. Oh we are there again......

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:52 am

Isn't that odd - I've never thought of Tunis cake being an Easter treat! In my family it has always been a feature of Christmas. One of my grandmothers always made one - a huge thing with thick chocolate. Today's commercially made efforts are but pale imitations.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Never in all my years have I ever heard of 'Tunis Cake'

There is some indication on the following that it was served at Christmas time - perhaps that is what is meant by a 'moveable feast' :)

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food/624101 ... lOnOnePage

Quite a few discussions about Hastings there too.

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Interesting discussion on that Mumsnet link Richard. There is mention on that page of McVities, whom I also believed were the only manufacturers of Tunis Cake and it's possible that McVities made them for the various supermarkets under their own labelling, so if McVities are no longer making them, it looks as if this branch of the Jempson family will be making its own Tunis cake next Christmas! Maybe I could persuade Jempsons of Peasmarsh to make them ;)

Technique

Postby Technique » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:08 am

A bit late - but Sains on the '21 has loads of them in. A post Christmas treat perhaps?

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks Technique - might get one for New Year's Day, if they have any left.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”