Outstanding Victorian record likely to be broken

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Outstanding Victorian record likely to be broken

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 pm

On September 9th 2015, Queen Elizabeth is Set To Beat Queen Victoria's Record As the Longest Ever Reigning Monarch In British History.
Elizabeth will probably not stay in power for very much longer (after that date) and will step down to make way for Charles in an ordered manner, rather than wait for some dramatic force of nature to dictate the event.
Clearly she will not want to keep going for very much longer now at 88 while Philip is 93 and she may want more time with him and the opportunity to organise a smooth change of monarch.

Derek Jempson

Re: Outstanding Victorian record likely to be broken

Postby Derek Jempson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Although I am by no means a monarchist, and therefore it makes no difference to me whether Elizabeth, Charles or William is on the throne, I do have a certain amount of respect for the way in which the Queen has discharged her duties over such a long period of time. It can't be an easy "job" and the sacrifice of a normal self-determining life is a great one. September the ninth will see a little bit of history in the making, so I shall observe events with interest.

Richard

Re: Outstanding Victorian record likely to be broken

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:34 pm

With the notable exception of the English Civil War, where Charles I was executed under Oliver Cromwell, at least we have a virtually unbroken monarchy, unlike the much later French and continental European and Russian revolutions, which experienced complete overthrows of their own monarchs, with no later restoration.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”