But would you eat it?

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
seahermit

Re: But would you eat it?

Postby seahermit » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:52 pm

Well, thank you Number9 for your kind words, yes I did make a broad, unqualified statement really!

I think some foods are nice because of their texture alone, that's why I like cod, fleshy and filling. Just needs a thin parsley sauce. Similarly, a good bit of lamb is spoilt if it is drowned in a strong sauce.

As I said before, the French are the food artistes. If make my fortune (unlikely now), I still might retire to France and eat all day.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 pm

The other week, I cooked a beef casserole for a friend - with celery, which absolutely made it. Didn't chuck much else in by way of flavourings. Often it is the combination/contrast of different foods which appeals, little need for loads of condiments.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 pm

Try red wine in a beef casserole - the French way!

number9

Postby number9 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:14 am

Richard, are you being playful ? :) Was that a little wind up I just detected ? :)
.....or maybe your comment was just a normal suggestion.

Anyway, I used to make quiet a lot of casseroles and included a variety of vegetables but must admit I never thought of adding celery to them so will try that one day.

I've also never made a beef casserole (do you use stewing steak in it ?) but even with celery would be tempted to add a dash of red wine to the dish.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:27 am

I used braising steak as opposed to stewing steak - more expensive but makes for a shorter cooking time and a much nicer meal. I did also add some red wine.

I got the quite simple recipe from one Saturday's Times supplement, will post it on here later. Shows that complicated cooking doesn't equate to "good", simple meals can be great. Though I say it myself, the meal was one of the most delicious I have ever cooked!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 am

Beef and Potato stew:

I used slightly more celery and carrots than specified, also a few mushrooms. It turned out splendid.

I hope the image is clear enough.
Attachments
img276.jpg

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 pm

If you have fried a steak and not added a splash of red wine towards the end of cooking and reduced it to a 'Jus', (pronounced zhew) the light gravy that is given off by the meat as it cooks, then you have not lived.
Mushrooms and tomatoes add to the enjoyment and flavours.
You don't meed any flour, dairy or 'bisto' etcetera, just the wine.

The French know best!

number9

Postby number9 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 pm

Richard wrote:The French know best!

Are you sure ?? I think McCormick might disagree ;)
I think, they think that they have a wonderful Jus gravy :lol:

https://d1e3z2jco40k3v.cloudfront.net/- ... 00x800.png

sorry I couldn't work out how to put the picture on here like you guys do.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:14 pm

McCormick 'Au Jus' ingredients:

Salt, Corn Starch, Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy Proteins and Wheat Gluten, Beef Fat, Caramel Color, Onion, Corn Syrup Solids, Garlic, Spices (Including Black Pepper), Celery, Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose (Thickener), Sodium Caseinate (Milk), and Natural Flavor.

You can buy a gluten-free version!

A sauce/roux is made without the juices, a jus must be made with the juices and often a liquid, a gravy must be made with the juices but can have thickener, i.e. flour.
For soups and some casseroles add stock, broth or bouillon, pronounced 'boo-yon', the 'n' being nasal rather than the English version.

number9

Postby number9 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:51 am

Was just browsing on the internet and this caught my eye:
Scotch eggs and haggis voted UK's least popular British foods this was in 2019
Also on the list was jellied eels & black pudding.

Never had Haggis
Scotch eggs are ok for a snack, usually have them cold
Black pudding have had occasionally as part of a cooked breakfast...not really a fan
jellied eels Ugh !

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”