The EU Referendum

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
ColinL

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby ColinL » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:35 am

From the Financial Times

"Mr Farage has City culture in his blood: his father Guy Justus Oscar Farage was a well-known, hard-drinking stockbroker and his brother Andrew became a broker on the London Metal Exchange. The young Nigel chose to skip university and follow his father into the City after finishing his studies at Dulwich College, a private school in southeast London. In 1982, he joined Maclaine Watson, a traditional English commodities brokerage.

(Some years later) Farage Limited, a commodities company ended up insolvent. In September 2014 it owed £33,000 in taxes" (Farage declined to provide comment to the FT for this profile)

This is the person who was prepared to insult some 500 Euro MPs claiming most had not had a proper job, when at 16 he was parachuted in, being a member of the establishment that he claims to despise, to commodity trading on the coat tails of his father & brother. He has never had to look for a 'proper' job on a factory floor; in a hospital; or as a cleaner on minimum wage/zero hours contract; or in an engineering firm etc, as is the reality for those he claims to understand and empathise with in Thanet and the deprived areas of the North East

He is a charlatan. And made me ashamed and embarrassed to be a British citizen, with his self-aggrandising performance in parliament.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 am

Farage worked for many years in several high-profile city firms, despite whatever went wrong for a family business under an alcoholic father.
Farage was certainly not just sitting around working for his father in a cushy job.
Also he highlighted several incidents of corruption by EU officials that went largely unnoticed by anyone else.
And you don't have to work in the public sector or a factory to get 'street-cred' as a genuine worker - where did all that come from, some lefty college 'rag' full of dodgy propoganda?

Anyway, look out for the Chilcot report due out around 9th July - perhaps that is why Corbyn is hanging around - to see Blair tried as a 'war criminal'??

Labour have had it for now - sorry!!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Dulwich College is not a "private school" - it is one of the leading public schools in the country and has produced many highflying and talented people, some politicians, also one or two great cricketers!

I wonder why some working-class people who hate anyone talented, educated or sussessful think that, if you haven't sweated at labouring or washing-up jobs, you have never done a proper job? Maybe those lefties would like to try their hands at running a company or managing the national exchequer - conjures up hilarious images of chaos in my mind!

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:24 pm

I am not sneering or hating at anyone middle, upper class, working class or not.Successful and achievers

It was young Nigel himself who was insulting the MEPs, when he suggested they had not had proper jobs. You will see that I used proper in quotation marks, rather than on its own. It was he who was claiming they had not done proper jobs - when he himself had probably had very similar jobs himself. It is still a fact that he was parachuted into his first post through contacts.

As for Dulwich being a public school, I am aware of that, you ought to take up the description of the school with the FT journalist.

There are a number of 'lefties' who run business big and small

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:37 pm

I think the general belief is that all children should be entitled to the best education possible, regardless of ability to pay or academic attainment.
The European Commission is attempting, via 'The Bologna Process' to standardise policy on higher education in order to make it easier for students and job-seekers to move within Europe, as well as enabling them to better suit the changing labour markets.

http://ec.europa.eu/education/policy/hi ... ess_en.htm

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:11 pm

I should imagine that the middle-aged and slightly portly Nigel Farage would be delighted to see himself described as "young"!

Compared to the personal and abusive attacks made on Farage by all those who get upset by his forthrightness, Farage's remarks are hardly insulting - they are largely factual and I agree totally with them. Many of the EU leaders have spent their whole careers in bureaucratic institutions and have little understanding of the effects of their policies on ordinary working people in the constituent countries.

That is precisely why the EU has become out of touch and why many of the British people have said enough is enough.

I appreciate and respect that you have your own views but you need to be careful - you seem to be very poorly informed and much of what you have said is just not accurate or true.

roy

Postby roy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Very happy with the outcome of the vote,now we have to stop mass migration and take our country back,we can do this.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:39 pm

IInitially and in reply to Colin,
We know that there are many decent people who may or not vote Labour but the problem is that politicians are adept at playing to the masses in an attempt to stir up sentiment, with particular stereotypes that can be used to manipulate a vote.
All a calculated act for hearts and minds, I think.
But is Labour or Tory leadership more damaging to the UK?
The far-left, uncontrolled, damaged or destroyed key industries in recent history with their Union power-base and then Labour lurched to the Right with Tony Blair, then swung back to the Unions with Miliband and later Corbyn.
In similar vein, perhaps, the media and certain newspapers bosses, wanted us out and bombarded us with negativity about the edicts from Brussels and the immigration and etcetera, until we were blue in the face and so it was little wonder that we decided to take arms against a (perceived) sea of troubles and by opposing ended them.
Shakespeare would have had a lot of fun making 'snapshot' plays in our current climate too!

It wasn't so much the immigration that worried me but more the way that the EU demanded unrestricted access by all citizens as a pre-condition for trade.
Now they are demanding it again, post Brexit, but I don't think we should be blackmailed in this manner, or what was the point of leaving?
The power-game hedgemony of the EU, and the usual arrogance of the leaders, is well known and unacceptable, especially when translated into a simple knee-jerk reaction - let's see who blinks first.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:13 am

The Labour swing to the left is unfortunate for the country, damaging and divisive to the Labour party itself and a distraction from the important issues to do with rhe EU. Difficult to see this turning out well for them in the short term.

Meanwhile, the EU leaders think they have nothing to lose by closing ranks and reiterating "no free trade without free movement of people" - it is precisely this sort of bullying and arrogance which caused Brexit in the first place. In practice, the EU may have no choice but to reshape itself to some extent - if other countries seriously start considering changing the terms of their membership (or even leaving), the EU will have to face up to the danger of disintegration.

Rivetting news at present, I am glued to the TV bulletins and buying newspapers almost every day! It's impossible to predict where things will lead, but my one prophecy is that there may well be a big split in the Labour party and possibly a breakaway faction emerging. Hard to see leftwingers and moderates coming together again for now, it's all too polarised and too bitter.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 pm

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is stopping myself posting views on this topic. Got to stay impartial as the website owner or face falling out with 45% of the population of Hastings. Grrr!

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”