The EU Referendum

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:42 pm

I feel saddened and ashamed that there has been a sudden spike in the disgusting abuse of foreign people in public places, directly as a result of the heated arguments stirred up by the referendum issues.
We know, from history, what happens when people are used as 'scapegoats'.
We also witnessed the murder of an MP (Jo Cox) both shot and stabbed, very recently.
All this, and more, will probably be aired on 'Question Time' tonight if you can bear to watch it.

And some of the MP's are no better than overgrown school-kids.
I feel sorry for Corbyn who was abused by Cameron in the House of Commons yesterday.
Cameron behaved like the Lord of the Manor from Downton Abbey, venting his spleen.

Now the foreign people here with EU passports must feel unsure and scared for their future as nobody thought ahead to forsee the problems and work out a plan to cater for their concerns.
So, it is all being driven ahead without thought for the knock-on effects in the population at large.

roy

Postby roy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:00 pm

Geoff wrote:You wouldn't believe how difficult it is stopping myself posting views on this topic. Got to stay impartial as the website owner or face falling out with 45% of the population of Hastings. Grrr!

lol Geoff,nice to know you picked the winning side like me. :)

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:07 am

;)

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:38 pm

I sympathise with the agonies of any chairman, moderator, whatever who has to keep the peace (and keep his own peace!) during such an impassioned debate!

It is refreshing that this forum is largely a very courteous affair compared to some of the social networks. In public and in the Commons the EU debate has produced some aggressive and pretty nasty behaviour (Cameron's lambasting of Corbyn was patronising, opportunistic and out of place - it is for the Labour party to sort out their differences). But on Facebook people seem to lose all sense of responsibility - anything goes, rudeness, vicious personal attacks, unfounded allegations. Doesn't say much for people's tolerance of opposing political views these days.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Not to mention Hesseltine's withering vitriolic attack on Boris this morning.
He shot quite a nasty dose from his spleen.
I rather enjoy the irreverent programme that follows after QT with Andrew Neil, called 'This Week'.
Neil usually manages to take poke fun and the demi-dormouse Portillo coughs up a few snapshots with his 'mate' Alan Johnson, who seem to get on well in a civilised manner.
Neil is a wily old devil and former journalist/editor of a leading newspaper, adept at both cajoling and stirring the pot with useful background summaries of his topics presented.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:04 pm

I too enjoy This Week, and agree it's the perfect follow on from QT on Thursday nights. The Andrew Marr Show and The Sunday Politics are also an essential watch each week (in my household anyway).

roy

Postby roy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Geoff wrote:I too enjoy This Week, and agree it's the perfect follow on from QT on Thursday nights. Andrew Marr and The Sunday Politics are also an essential watch each week (in my household anyway).

Defo agree with the andrew marr show ,not to mention question time.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:38 pm

I'll have to listen on the radio, getting up and switching on the TV at 9am on a Sunday is unlikely for me.
As for Brexit, there wasn't much point in us paying towards infrastructure in other countries if the EU was not creating work there.
Also, if huge Japanese car companies can get into the UK and export to the rest of the EU then why are we being told that we can't do the same by establishing manufacturing inside Europe?
ON the other hand, Jean-Claude Juncker persuaded us to outsource manufacturing to the EU, so I don't quite see what the fuss is about.
Tonnes of immigrants were still coming to the UK and being all-too greedily accepted by company bosses whilst they berated the so-called laziness of our own unemployed.
So, was the EU just a Capitalist conspiracy afterall, with the government happy to deal with the social security side whilst keeping the employers happy.

confused.com
Last edited by Richard on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Ways to view at a later time, as I am lazy on a Sunday, does anyone know an easy way to watch i-player on TV?
I just have an ordinary 'Samsung Smart TV'
I have heard that Amazon does some sort of 'fire-stick' but is that the better option if I don't want to watch loads of 'subscription films'?

Thanks!!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Richard, can we keep this thread on politics and the EU?
Happy to discuss catchup TV further, post the question in the Technology Chat forum viewforum.php?f=17

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”