rechargeable batteries

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Geoff
Site Admin

Re: rechargeable batteries

Postby Geoff » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:28 pm

From experience, there's a fall off. The more times you recharge them the less time they last before needing a recharge. The fall off becomes more rapid as they approach end of life. I would suggest you can recharge any of them 2100 times, but they would only last 10 minutes before needing a charge again. It's down to the manufacturer what they feel comfortable with quoting on their specs. Basically, don't believe the hype.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Sanyo's Eneloop quote 75% capacity remaining after 10 years, not that this means an awful lot - they all quote figures that best suit their advertising promise.
But you surely should look out for those brands that can take a hammering and still survive for a long time, otherwise just buy the cheap and cheerful ones that suit your purpose and wait for technology to move ahead, as it always will.
Then you have the issue of chargers and what brands they charge best.
Manufacturers often recommend that their batteries are charged best by the same brand's battery chargers. This is because they can adapt how the charger works to suit their own batteries.

Cheap is not necessarily bad and some supermarket's brands perform surprisingly well:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/recharg ... ed-to-know

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Aĺ I know is that most of my rechargeables are Energiser ones from Tesco and they seem to be holding their charge well and some are several years old. (I did get some Panasonic ones - awful, didn't last out five minutes! ) If I don't want to lug a big SLR camera around, I often put a small compact camera into my pocket - I can get a great number of shots, hundreds, before I need to put the spare batteries in. Good enough for my purposes.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:23 pm

You must have some great Hastings and St Leonards photos by now. It would be nice to publicise them in the gallery if you ever feel like showing off your photography skills with the general public ;)

ps. I'm selling one of my photo printers next year if anyone's interested. When the time comes I will post the details in our 'little used but much viewed' for sale section.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:54 pm

LSD Batteries are low self discharge and something I had not heard about before.

Another problem with chargers is that they often under or over-charge the batteries.
Low quality chargers typically undercharge or overcharge AA batteries. Undercharged batteries don’t last as long in the device, while overcharging harms batteries and can greatly decrease the number of potential recharges.

More here:

https://www.filterjoe.com/2017/08/19/be ... 18-update/

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Well, thanks Geoff, you have touched on a very cogent issue for me during nect year!

Since I started with digital photography, though ompletely unplanned it has developed into a sizeable library of photos of the beautiful landscape which we have around here. Aso a lot of images of local musicians particularly jazz etc., Hastings being a Mecca for live music.

Some of the music photos go online (see facebook.com.tonyfrost/kwirkypoet) and some of the others have been in small exhibitions. But yes it's logical to do much more with all of this, if other people would be really interested. I have some plans, never been down this road before, but I may know some people who would be willing to help me and supply some skills I lack ..

Watch this space and let me know if any of the photos could find a useful place on the website. Maybe it could be tied in with other things I end up doing publicly ..

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Re: batteries, I have not so far noticed any problems with them not lasting long, before requiring a recharge. It seems difficult to accurately measure how well they are lasting out .. but I suppose that, even if you devoted some time to checking them, making notes of times on bits of paper etc., it would be infinitely more interesting than watching Big Brother for hours!!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Well, thanks Geoff, you have touched on a very cogent issue for me during next year!

Since I started with digital photography, though ompletely unplanned it has developed into a sizeable library of photos of the beautiful landscape which we have around here. Aso a lot of images of local musicians particularly jazz etc., Hastings being a Mecca for live music.

Some of the music photos go online (see facebook.com/tonyfrost.kwirkypoet) and some of the others have been in small exhibitions. But yes it's logical to do much more with all of this, if other people would be really interested. I have some plans, never been down this road before, but I may know some people who would help me and supply some skills I lack ..

Watch this space and let me know if any of the photos could find a useful place on the website. Maybe it could be tied in with other things I end up doing publicly ...

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:38 pm

There are just too many variables with rechargeable batteries and it is difficult to know what to believe is best.
If Lidl works then that's great.
Sometimes I think it's like power tools, the cheap and cheerful can often take an awful lot of hammering and the big brands like DeWalt, (Black & Decker since 1960) Bosch and Makita, use different component materials and countries of manufacture, so you never really know where you are.
Eneloop were Sanyo but now are Panasonic.
The Chinese copy everything that exists and insist they will eat anything with 4 legs, except tables or chairs!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:33 am

Sorry my reply about the photos got posted twice. No idea how that happened.

I got one of the very basic Black and Decker drills, reconditioned by someone I knew, and it has lasted a number of years and done absolutely everything. Been borrowed by neighbours, friends, builders and my landlord! Can't see why I would need a more powerful up-to-date device. The modern culture of constantly upgrading your mobile phone/audio device/vacuum cleaner/whatever is largely the result of intensive marketing and hoodwinking people. If the latest model is a bit more powerful and faster, would many people actually notice?

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”