Mozart concerto on You Tube

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
seahermit

Mozart concerto on You Tube

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:51 pm

One of the beauties of having a smartphone is being able to watch/listen to music videos comfortably esconsed on the sofa!

On my new (and huge) Moto G7 Power I have just listened to an ethereal playing of Mozart's Piano Concerto no.21 - young Korean woman with magical fingers. The first movement is often played too ebulliently and loudly, very typically Mozartian but it contrasts too sharply with the dreamy slow movement which follows. This performer treated the first movement much more gently and sensitively and the whole effect was gripping.

Think I have managed to add a link below. Give it a try, it's only 30 minutes or so and to my mind is the most beautiful of all Mozart's piano works.

https://youtu.be/fNU-XAZjhzA

seahermit

Re: Mozart concerto on You Tube

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Yeol Eom Son her name is, only just in her thirties and her career makes most of us look as if we have wasted our lives!

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Agreed! Just listened to it. A little piece of heaven in an insane world. Now, if only I had persisted with piano lessons when I was a boy.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 pm

When it comes to overall musical content over a variety of genres, Mozart was the master. He wrote operas, symphonies, concertos, choral works, chamber music and instrumental music--all superbly. No composer in history has equalled Mozart's mastery over such a diverse group of works.
But Chopin deserves a mention when it comes to Pianistics, if you compare what was being written previously, it would seem as if Chopin came from Mars. Very little of Mozart's piano works show any sign of pianistic invention.
Chopin was the greater innovator. His piano writing was so bizarre and revolutionary he had to compose two sets of Etudes just to catalogue it.
Clementi was light years ahead of Mozart in terms of the quality of his writing for the piano--and so was Haydn.
On the other hand pianos were few and far between when Mozart started writing for them. Mozart had to make the transition from harpsichord to piano. He invented everything that he did on them. He set the standard, and did it so well that we still think of it as the absolute standard 300 years later.

Chopin wasn't a master of large forms, and didn't compose for diverse instrumentation. He never wrote a string quartet nor a Symphony.
He didn’t have Mozart’s ability to create large-scale sophisticated forms. In fact, the only composer of his generation (not counting Wagner) who did was Mendelssohn.
Chopin was always a huge fan of Mozart's work.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 pm

I love that. A little piece of heaven indeed. Keeps me in touch with what really matters in life - art in whatever form and beauty.

It's the old story really, you can't truly compare great composers because they had different qualities to offer. I am not really a musician but, if you are talking about innovation, surely Liszt is regarded as very advanced for his time and his concertos very complex. Beethoven is arguably the master, nobody can remain unchanged after listening to the complexity and power of his last two piano concertos - both would be amongst my Desert Island discs.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”