New PM

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
northants1066

New PM

Postby northants1066 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Not sure if anyone has already started a thread on this subject, if so please Mr Moderator I apologise.

Did anyone waste their time watching the "hustings" on sunday or last night. What a complete farago (Farage!!!) the whole process was. We learnt absolutely nothing new from anybody. Why Channel Four and the BBC should waste money on such an non event I do not know.
Sunday night had that well known neutral just postulating his own self importance and that dippy woman last night had an agenda to embarrass Boris (which he is quite capable of doing without her help) and introducing her own irrelevant questions when it was supposed to be the public asking the questions. The so called public it now transpires was one anti- semite and another a Labour Party activist!!

The only thing that I did learn was that Rory Stewart is more stupid than he looks!!!!!!!!

cbe

Re: New PM

Postby cbe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:24 pm

There was one benefit of these shows - it showed yet again that the MSM are biased.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 pm

I tried watching last night’s debate, chaired by Emily Maitlis but it seemed chaotic and the 'chair' could not control the classroom full of squabbling wanabee's.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 pm

I haven't been watching the TV debates or really following the arguments between the contenders. I did hear that the "debates" we're somewhat stage-managed and not in front of a proper audience of normal members of the public ..

Does it matter much anyway? It's fairly obvious what the final outcome is likely to be and none of us have any control whatsoever over that.

Please someone wake me up later and tell me who wins ..

As an afterthought, all the protestations from some contenders against a no-deal Brexit are just nonsense. Since all MPs and the parliamentary Tories in particular have proved themselves incapable of agreeing to any uniform strategy, or anything at all really, and the EU have already declared that they will not accept any revised terms from the UK, it seems inevitable that there will be a no-deal Brexit like it or not.

Or there will be yet more attempts to stop Brexit happening at all, in which case I will be donning my gilet jaune and heading for the barricades ..

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Richard's description of a "classroom of squabbling wannabees" sums it all up beautifully and confirms that I made just the right use of my time in clearing the washing-up and finishing the crossword ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:48 pm

I feel a little sorry for Boris and his lady-friend, if all domestic flare-ups were reported what would it tell us?
I have heard exactly the same sort of "get off me, get out!" exchanges when living in multi-flat accommodation.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:14 pm

The media have been quick to use the incident to throw some "dirt" and create a story - it was just someone having a row with his girlfriend. So what? Would any normal person endure the pressures and public scrutiny which Boris and others are being subjected to, without the frustration boiling over sometimes into a row over who has been hogging the laptop or letting the washing-up pile up? Just the usual hypocricy from the press. And the readers maybe ..

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:45 pm

The latest info coming out is that the neighbours are against Boris living in their neighbourhood as he is too Conservative for their liking ie they are a bunch of leftie Trots or Snow flake Liberals.

This is becoming more and more likely to be another conspiracy to bring him down, probably instigated by The Guardian itself.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 pm

It now looks like Boris will survive to fight another day.
We seem to like a sort of 'Johnny English' buffoonery, not taking ourselves too seriously and winning against all the odds.
We have had too much analysis and navel-gazing, time for someone who can inject some fun into the utter banality of straight-laced politics.
How absolutely serious do we really need to be anyway?
That seems to be the charm of Boris, clown or otherwise, a character with personality who excels in keeping everyone guessing.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:59 pm

The domestic incident at first sight looked as if it would do Boris some harm and certainly give ammo to his enemies. In a perverse English way, which has certainly happened sometimes before in politics, it might actually have helped him! As you say, the English rather like someone with character, even eccentric, and get bored with totally straight, moral-minded politicians - remember "Honest Jim" Callaghan (didn't last five minutes)? And dutiful John Major (the Man in Grey, serious-minded and correct, who in the end was anyway shown to be a hypocrite in his morals)?

Boris has shown himself to be human like the rest of us, fallible at times but capable of displaying earthy good sense atleast some of the time!.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”