Brexit and the current position

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Brexit and the current position

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:14 pm

For those who wished for a 'no deal' Brexit it now looks as if Boris really hopes to get a deal through.
France is not up to the task, with any leader, never mind Macron, but Germany may waver as
Merkel hopes to achieve a deal re- the Irish border thorny issue and so the 'churn' goes on.
I have to say that the German 'Chair' of the Bundestag foreign affairs committee, Norbert Röttgen, made the 'sniping' comments of our Channel 4 News interviewer look petty-minded tonight.
Germany holds the cards and make no mistake about it...
Last edited by Richard on Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

seahermit

Re: Brexit and the current position

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:12 am

I don't think that Boris seriously believes the EU will weaken and negotiate a revised deal - but he has to try and to be seen by the world to be trying, he is putting all his energy into it and for that he deserves full credit. I still don't see how on earth this is going to end, the intransigent EU might give a bit eventually, Boris might succeed in crashing out with a no-deal and the Commons not managing to stop that .. or it might all end again in the chaos which overcame Theresa May.

If you look back over the newspapers, every week or almost every day the "negotiations" change course, shape and direction but the central issue under dispute remains the same - somebody eventually has to blink, which side will that be?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Just seen the BBC news website - so Parliament IS going to be suspended. I haven't had time to read it properly but I feel my doubts about any revised Brexit deal were fairly near the mark. I don't think there was ever any real hope of the EU giving way and that intransigence and arrogance of a monolithic bureaucracy is one of the major reasons that we have to get out and go our own way.

The campaign to stop Brexit will meantime go on to the bitter end, but atleast it appears that legal challenges to suspension of Parliament will hopefully fail - it is constitutional, it is the Queen's prerogative to implement suspension and it has been done before.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Boris has bowled a blinder and set the cat among the pigeons now.
Good for him, that's what we need, no shilly-shallying and some decisive action.
In common parlance 'Bring it on'.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:06 pm

What I don't understand is the opposition to the latest plans of Boris.
Nobody in Parliament (Labour, Liberal or Conservative) could agree to T. May's deal and yet they want another deal which the EU say is not on the table and I can't make sense of the situation.
Answers on a postcard please!!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Richard, you have expressed it in a nutshell! I couldn't possibly say it more succinctly.

The only way to look at it maybe is to assume that MPs generally have gone off their heads. No other explanation seems to add up.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:27 pm

And now some in London, Belfast and Scotland want to mount legal challenges - but with whose money and on what basis?
John Major, the former Conservative Prime Minister took the unprecedented move of joining a legal attempt by businesswoman Gina Miller to stop Johnson's plan.

The legal challenges will be mist to the grill for ColinL

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 pm

I think ColinL is probably sitting in his armchair with smoke coming out of his gills ..

I did read through a piece by one political commentator and the gist was that there is little basis for a legal challenge. Well, we'll see of course, but suspending Parliament has been done before in various circumstances and there is no precedent for challenging the Queen's right to approve it.

I think John Major and quite a number of others are pretty disgusting - to stop Brexit (which is ultimately what this is about) is to reject the clear and decisive result of a public vote. Whether businessmen and some politicians like it or not. All this has done incalculable harm to Joe Blogs's view of politicians in general ..

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 pm

I had to Google the meaning of "Mist for the grill". Didn't find enlightenment but now I know how mist forms from droplets of liquid .. and how to grill a chicken to perfection.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:02 pm

" think ColinL is probably sitting in his armchair with smoke coming out of his gills"

????

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”