Brexit and the current position

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
cbe

Re: Brexit and the current position

Postby cbe » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Richard - just spotted your post of the 29th
I can answer this easily. They do not want to leave the EU.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am

‘Queen’s Consent’ to the Bill closing off the option of Johnson forcing a no-deal Brexit at the end of October is due to be granted on Monday.
Queens Consent is a formality and normally only done in person when a parliamentary session ends (prorogation).
This was the Hilary Benn Bill, formulated by a cross-party group of MP's.

The legal campaigner Gina Miller has vowed to continue her “fight for democracy” after the high court in London ruled that Boris Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament for five weeks was legal. Three of the most senior judges in England and Wales dismissed her claim that the prime minister acted unlawfully in giving advice to the Queen to suspend parliament from next week at a time of momentous political upheaval.
The same judges then granted permission for the case to be appealed to the supreme court.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 pm

One or two things:

(1)The Queen can only give the Royal Assent to a bill her Prime Minister brings to her.
(2) Gina Miller would not recognise Democracy if it hit her in the face.
(3) The Supreme Court will also throw this out
(4) Who finances Gina Miller? Please don't say crowdfunding

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:01 pm

We did not vote for years of legal wrangling and obfuscation over leave or remain, we voted to leave.
The remainers are playing into the hands of the EU who will now set the terms and conditions.
The remainers have no plan and will have to accept what the EU dishes out.
This is a total farce and I welcome Boris for sticking to his guns and being decisive in order to fulfill the Brexit vote.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 am

As you infer, the Remainers have not been able to come together and formulate a jointly agreed plan - in three years they have proved that.

Thus, even if Parliament gets it's way, prevents Boris from acting, what alternative plan will they put forward? Even if somehow the Remainers did manage to formulate a new/revised deal, the EU have long declared that it will not be considered. And anyway the Brexiteers, and probably half the country including myself, will fight at the barricades to stop the EU accepting anything short of a complete withdrawal from accursed Europe.

I forsee only chaos.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am

Yes! The EU have stated clearly that they will not grant us a delay unless or until someone gets their act together and agrees a deal that all in parliament (a majority) can agree upon and the current 'Benn Bill' of making 'no deal' Brexit on 31st October illegal is therefore somewhat presumptuous.
If the EU will not grant an extension then it will be they who swing the axe, perhaps saving Boris's neck?

Boris is entitled to shut Westminster down soon (proroguing) as the current session of parliament covers three calendar years and is by far the longest since the civil war. Each session of parliament normally lasts a year. It starts with the Queen’s speech, where the government outlines the bills it wants to get through in the next 12 months.
Proroguing parliament clearly restores parliamentary democracy and is constitutionally standard.

If Jeremy Corbyn wants to stop a no-deal Brexit, he has to follow a simple course of action, call a vote of no confidence in the government and win that vote. He won’t do that because he knows that he doesn’t have the votes in the House of Commons
Plus, Corbyn doesn't want an election because he doesn’t have the votes in the country to win a general election, he should put up, or shut up!

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Just a glimmer of good news. Bercow is jumping before he is pushed.
What I don't understand is why are so many now queueing up to praise the weasel.

cbe

Postby cbe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Because he has done his best to satisfy all their wishes in their determination to thwart the result of the EU referendum. He has failed as will they.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:54 pm

I agree with all that! I don't understand why the MPs put up with him for so long, he created much controversy with seemingly biased decisions. Far from the ex-show dancer Betty Boothroyd who proved to be a very courteous, impartial and respected Speaker.

I suppose it is obvious that Boris will fight to the end, trying every political device - his head-on stance just might work out, common sense has to come in at some stage after the Commons has descended into greater chaos and they have already demonstrated that they are incapable of any kind of agreement between themselves. Or any deal which the EU will accept!

cbe

Postby cbe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am

You will have seen what Lady Nugee has said. If Labour were in power, she would go to the EU and negotiate a deal and then come back to the commons and VOTE TO REMAIN. What further proof does anyone need that MPs have decided that what the electorate have to say does not matter?

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”