Terrorist

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
cbe

Terrorist

Postby cbe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Colin was anxious, during recent posts, to keep bringing up the name of Mr Merritt Snr, though I had made no reference to him.
Well now I will - does anyone else find it strange that this gentlemen (a) keeps complaining about Boris Johnson politicising his son's murder, whilst, politicising his son's murder? ..and ...
(b) keeps blaming Boris Johnson and the Conservatives and everyone else for the murder EXCEPT for the convicted terrorist, who perpetrated the crime?

seahermit

Re: Terrorist

Postby seahermit » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am

I haven't got involved in the details of this, but the fact is that politics is about what happens around us and how it affects us. In that sense, the young Merritt's tragic death is very relevant and a fair political issue for comment. How is it possible to "unpoliticise" such an event?

All parties are of course trying to make further political capital out of emotive subjects, such as kids being treated on the floor in hospital corridors. But incidents like the latter have been happening for a long time, under both Labour and Tory administrations, because the NHS has been declining for a number of years.

Selecting any particular colourful incidents to make headlines does not help proper debate about finding long-term solutions.

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:56 am

It is interesting what you say on the NHS. We keep being told we must save OUR nhs etc etc and yet Conservatives have had more time in power than Labour during the NHS's existence and it is still there. I also cannot ever recall sudden improvements in OUR nhs when Labour are in power.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:44 pm

I suppose I am trying to say that it will always be possible to find glaring examples of things going wrong and to make headlines with them and sling some accusations around. There was some incident involving Gordon Brown, when PM, was it an embarrassing call when he was doing a phone-in, maybe another hospital corridor incident? Can't recall the details.

The fact is that change doesn't come overnight whatever the promises of politicians on terrorism, the NHS, immigration or anything else. Deep-seated problems need long-term funding and forward planning. Where politicians CAN make a difference is by signalling a change of direction and attitude - in that, Labour falls down. Many of their current proposals are clearly impracticable and unaffordable - so unlikely to happen, long-term or short-term.

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:56 pm

The Gordon Brown thing was 'Jennifer's Ear'

The NHS will ALWAYS have problems and will always want more money - the party in Power is of no consequence. It is a bloated organisation with a seemingly endless list of various 'managers' New drugs and procedures coming out all the time and yes, people living longer. Add to that the people who come for health tourism AND the point I made on another thread -
Attachments
lancet.PNG
lancet.PNG (24.78 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:36 pm

It's just dishonest for anyone to suggest that Labour will save the NHS, this will always be in crisis and the attempts to play political football, whilst the goal posts are ever-changing, is absurd.
Labour assume they are the better custodian but since they have a poor record of fiscal management why should we believe their mantra?
Especially so since they seem to think that more money, nurses, doctors will 'save' it.
More money and staffing is good but Labour's track-record is less than impressive when compared with that of the Tories.
Why trust a dogma that feeds lies to the herd mentality?

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm

I agree but it is their go-to mantra at election times

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 pm

cbe you started this thread as 'terrorist' and then failed entirely to make any comment on terrorists or anything directly related to terrorism in general. You have used the guise to go on the attack against Mr Merritt whose intention and wish has been to focus on mourning for his son in a dignified manner.

Johnson made no attempt to contact him directly but went straight to the airwaves to (1) state he would tighten the sentencing (2) blame it on Labour. Mr Merritt in those circumstances is fully entitled to respond.

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm

It would be nice to assume that you read the opening post. in which case you would have seen 'Except for the convicted terrorist who perpetrated the crime'. You really must take more care when reading and responding as you just sound as though you are merely searching for something to moan about.
Mr Merritt has politicised his son's death, he is able to do this if he wishes, but then if he has the brass neck to say that others are doing that he shouldn't be surprised if people are surprised.

Colin - go and prepare yourself for tomorrow's bad news. What state is the Labour party in if they are pinning their hopes on there being a hung parliament. This is the height of their ambition against a very poor Conservative Government ?

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”