BBC

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
cbe

BBC

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:55 pm

How much longer can the BBC carry on? It is now completely and unashamedly Guardian TV, it would be difficult for it to be any more biased and left wing. You might say that there is nothing wrong with that but it carries the word British in its title and it professes in its charter to be unbiased.I don't just want the licence fee scrapping, because then the Government would fund it from general taxation, I want it to move to a subscription or a channel funded by advertising revenues. Then let us see how they perform when people are not forced to fund them.
Attachments
6 o'clock.PNG

Richard

Re: BBC

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:17 pm

The BBC licence fee funding model is secured as part of its Royal Charter, which runs to 2027.
If you turn it into a for-profit subscription service, then that is not a public broadcaster.
You can't watch TV at all unless you pay the BBC a license fee, and some people who are poor or pensioners, have little spare money, so then how can a free' service be provided?
Th BBC has enough cash to at least allow pensioners a 'free' option, as before.
Surely people who are on benefits should not have to pay the fee?
Last edited by Richard on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:23 pm

If it's not impartial it has no rights to be called a public broadcaster. The BBC
will be sold off sooner rather than later.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:26 pm

The BBC has the right to charge a fee, under it's royal charter, until 2027.
Unless this is revoked I can see no change going forwards.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Precisely, I am absolutely certain that the charter will be
brought to an end. There is widespread anger at the BBC
and any Government 'dealing' with them will be supported
in the action.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Since you can't watch TV without paying the BBC license fee then something is surely wrong.
You can't access private health care without paying for the NHS, as private care is still serviced by accessing the NHS resources.
But TV is different and you shouldn't be paying for something on the basis that you might still be accessing (watching) the BBC channels.
There lies the rub...

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:55 pm

I believe that we are the only country where you need to have a licence to watch television. Paying per se isn't the problem - people pay for Sky, Virgin, Netflix etc etc but they opt in to paying for them and can stop whenever they wish.
I would just like to attach this - can anyone honestly say that this is adhered to by the BBC's employees ?
Attachments
hahahaha.PNG

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Apart from flouting the law there is no easy way of avoiding the license fee if you use a TV or even have one on the premises.
If you must have one and wish to risk the consequences then make sure it is removed from sight of patrol officers on the ground who can simply walk up to a house and look through windows and see if you have one or not.
I don't believe officers can look into windows above ground and that TV detector vans are a bit of a myth, for large blocks of flats certainly.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:10 pm

It's ok if you do not watch live tv. As regards 'patrol officers', they do not have right
of access to your premises - you do not have to answer their questions - you can shut the
door on them, If they write to you (I believe it is Capita) you do not need to respond to the
letters

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:40 am

I myself was somewhat shocked at evident leftist bias on the part of the BBC - should never have happened and it would not have done so in the past. Then there was Channel Four's empty chair stunt. I also dislike intensely the rabid political rants of the Mail - and of the Mirror! The Times and Telegraph are obviously establishment organs but the actual reporting does seem to be be more neutral and balanced .. but it's probably my naivety!

There HAVE to be atleast some sources of news/information which are generally perceived as straight reportage, unbiased, no agenda and reliable. The BBC used to aspire to that role, the World Service especially was more respected abroad than local services. Has the internet eroded the general respect for truth and honesty?

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”